Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 18:08:42

twotails
Administrator

EEC Engine Standards

Eric Richardson
Feb 28, 2009 - 11:49AM
Replacement engines EEC Standards

Some more crap brought in by our ever protective Greens!
In the past it was always possible to marinise any suitable automotive engine and fit it in your boat. Indeed I made a small business out of doing it for a couple of boat builders using Perkins and BMC Diesel engines. After all the Perkins engines were all made in Marine and automotive form.
Now the EEC and Greens have got together we have to ensure that any replacement engine is certified to EEC emmision standards before we can fit them to our boats!
When renewing Boat Registration you have to state the means of propulsion, this is when they get you.
If you simply recondition what ever engine was on your registration document (used to be the Blue Book)
you have no problem. The same applies if you fit a certified Marine engine ie Beta Marine.
However you can have problems with marinised automotive engines which do not have all the relevant certification.
I picked this up via a guy who has marinised a Ford car engine and tried to change the details on his registratiopn certificate at renewal.
Of course you can always fail to notify but that could bite back when you come to sell the boat.
Sorry to be a doom merchant I hate all this crap, any modern engine must be cleaner than our old Perkins but probably not half as reliable.

Board footer