Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 18:02:04

twotails
Administrator

Dorade Cowls

David Nixon
Sep 4, 2011 - 8:16PM
Dorade Cowls

I needed to replace the faded and split cowls on my dorade vents.
As you know, the cowls, are secured to the dorade box with a large aluminium ring which screws onto an inner aluminium threaded tube. When not in use, a blanking plate can be fitted; again screwed in place onto the inner threaded tube.
I needed to replace the old PVC cowls, preferably with minimum or no alteration to the existing fittings.
Step forward Plastimo, which markets a range of (replacement) PVC cowls for its range of cool and dry dorade boxes or as stand-alone cowls with a fixing ring and blanking plate. They come as vertical or horizontal cowls. The vertical cowls are a little out of proportion to the original Seadog fitting, even the small ones. The small horizontal cowls look much nicer.
The replacement cowls are supplied with or without a hard plastic threaded ring inside the base and some seem to be more flexible than others.
The first job is to lever out the hard plastic threaded ring if fitted. You are then ready to fit the cowl.
Unscrew the original cowl and press fit the replacement cowl over the inner threaded aluminium tube. I found this a tight fit, but for added security you could drill, say, two or three bolts or possibly use a large jubilee clip.
Your original blanking plate will screw in as normal when required.
The usual caveats apply. I tried this using cheap cowls sourced from ebay. The parts may be counterfeit and genuine Plastimo cowls may have different measurements.
I have taken a snap of the finished article which will post to the forum if I can or will be happy to send on request.
Regards,
David

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Gina
Email 
Chris Woolley
Sep 5, 2011 - 9:06AM
Re: Dorade Cowls

I have just bought a "Jerry" cowl from the Vetus web site, delivered the following day, exact type as fitted to Dogboat, I suspect most other Seadogs have the same type.
Chris

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dogboat
Email 
David Nixon
Sep 5, 2011 - 1:54PM

...and the picture link is here:

https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pCG6 … jpg?psid=1

Email 
David Nixon
Sep 5, 2011 - 2:05PM

Thanks, I'll give Vetus a try. The Plastimo cowls can go back on to ebay. If it is direct replacement that will be great (I can check out the dimensions on line). I must admit to not wanting to order one previously because the price was a little high for a speculative purchase.
Regards,
David

Email 
Keith Simmonds
Sep 7, 2011 - 5:35PM

Hi I altered my Dorades with Stainless Steel covers and put in louve vents which I think work quite well cost me about £60 for the 6.
I bought them from Baseline Marine at Seginworth.If anyone wants to see send me there email and I will send a Photo itchenor1@sky.com
Regards Keith

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Beagle of Bosham

Board footer