Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 17:58:10

twotails
Administrator

Deep Seadog Single Mast

Arend J. Halkers
Jan 23, 2007 - 7:37PM
Deep seadog owners!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, sorry for my English, we are two proud owners of a Deep sea dog with a singel mast, the ship totaly rebuild and would like to know if there are more of these singelmast seadogs or is this realy a one off, I would like to come in contact with other seadog owners becouse in Holland there is almost no information about these ship, all info come,s from English site's on the internet

I hope to get a reaction and if you are interrested i can send some picture's

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) One Off a Kind
Email 
Arend J.
Jan 29, 2007 - 2:48PM
Re: Deep seadog owners!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there nobody who can give me any background information about the Seadog?
I find it very strange!
a.j.halkers@home.nl

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) One off a kind
Email 
Graham
Jan 29, 2007 - 3:01PM
Re: Re: Deep seadog owners!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,
Sorry to have not replied before. I find your post a little confusing.
The SeaDog was always designed and built as a Ketch (with 2 masts), I have never seen one that has been converted.
The original mark 1 seadog had wooden hatches and bilge keels. Later the hatches were fiberglass and later still (from boat number 50) a hatchway was added to the main saloon.
140 Seadogs were built with the last one being made in 1974 (but not launched until much later because the owner completed it himself and spent many years).
I would be very interested to hear more about your SeaDog and perhaps you would like to join the association?
Could you tell us the name and number of your SeaDog?
The number will be on the small chromium makers plate on the steering ninacle near the instrument panel.
regards
Graham
Seadog 66 'Dougal'

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Arend J.
Jan 29, 2007 - 3:11PM
Re: Deep seadog owners!

Graham, thank you for your reaction

I don't think that the original plate's still are with the ship but iff you like i will send you some picture's but than i need your e-mail adres.
And yes it is an option to become a member of the assosiation, that is if you want to have a disabled seadog (one wing)
On the drawing - bleu print, the are talking about Sea dog 30 "Red Mistress"

Email 
Graham
Jan 29, 2007 - 3:29PM
Re: Re: Deep seadog owners!

You have my email address, it is shown on the forum. Any problems and I will email you. I think the '30' refers to the type (length in feet). The name is a new one to me.
You should find that the 'number' is also written on the back of every interior panel (lining, headlining, cupboards etc)
I am quite excited now because there are 2 'missing' seadogs and I would love to find out that yours is one of them.
regards
Graham

Email 
David
Feb 2, 2007 - 2:52PM
Single masted Seadog??

Hi,

I would also love to see some pictures!

David

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Perro
Email 
Graham
Feb 2, 2007 - 4:07PM
Re: Single masted Seadog??

Hi David,
Sadly the pictures have established that she is not a SeaDog (or at least not the SeaDog that we know). Further research has discovered another 'seadog' designed by Van Der Stadt, but it doesn't seem to be that either!
I will forward on the photographs that I have, you may be able to identify her. She is a very attractive vessel.
Graham

Email 
Arend J.
Feb 2, 2007 - 5:00PM
Re: Re: Re: Deep seadog owners!

Hi Graham,
I digd ( digging ? ) in for some further information and the yachtbroker told me, and it was out of first hand he said, the the last owner was also the builder of the ship, he claims that he has bought the original mall from the deep seadog in England, and that he whith an friend architect went to the drawingboard and designd the ship of witch I am the proudfull owner.

The broker said that they made 3 hull's, but the 1st is sunken as a sailboat on the North sea, the 2nd is now a motor boat and I have the only sailing model and therefor its an One Off.
So in original it still is a little bit of a seadog, that is if i can believe the story of the broker. So what you wrote abaut the interrior etc. seems to be correct because the whole upperdek and interrior a totaly restyled. I think they also made little change on the hull?
Sinds I bought it we made some more changes
we put on the mast and sails of a Moody 36.4 and an extra cutter sail( little jip ) so it now has up to 90 m2 sail

This takes the ship to speeds of 8.4 knt, it is realy not a dull ship to sail

Email 
Graham
Feb 3, 2007 - 9:58AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Deep seadog owners!

Hi Arend,
After reading your last message I have been looking again at the pictures and I think you are right.
The hull is certainly very similar to the SeaDog and although the superstructure, deck, interior and rig are different it can still be recognised.
We are about to change the main mast on 'Dougal' so I was interested in what you said about the 'Moody' rig.
Do you know how tall the mast is (from deck)?
Dougal currently has 10.2m and we are thinking of increasing to about 11.5m
regards
Graham

Email 
Arend J.
Feb 3, 2007 - 4:01PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Deep seadog owners!

Hi Graham

First of all sorry, I have been a little to enthusiast, the mast is not from a Moody 364 but from a Moody 336 series 11.

I was on my ship today, and I thought I threw some information away but luckely I capt it in a plastic bag on the ship, I remembered that there had to be more drawings from my boat and I found the first drawing, and think what,

The original design from the hull ( Dutch = romp ) for a 5 ton Cuttersloep Red Mistress was made by Mr R.F. Freeman, England,
Where did I saw that name before?????

The design of the upper ship is made a Dutchman Mr R. Hennevanger he signed date 12.7.1983 I made a picture of it but the drawing is very dark by UV light

I almost dare to say that you have found the two missing Seadog’s, and if so, than I have a very special one and I would love to become a member of the Association of Seadog owners.

About the rest, I made some picture’s of the drawings or from a copy, the 1st one is actually the one that now really is on Texel, I called the harbourmaster on Texel and he knows who the owner is, but he didn’t know his name now, but he will find this out for me, will be continued.

He told me that there is a ship in the harbour type Seadog also with one mast.

One the 2nd you see the ship as it is mine now, with extra in front and an extra cutter – rig (I don’t know if this is the right word ) on the copy it is green

Some fact’s
The mast is 12.86 metre high - The total height is 14.06 metre - and + antenna 14.55 metre

Maybe this also your final chapter looking for the two missing seadogs, my feeling says that we have the two missing one, also because of the fact that the hull’s are designed by Mr R.F. Freeman

The pictures I send to your e-mail address, because this is not possible on this forum

Hope to here from you soon

Regards Arend J.

Email 
anthony george kearney
Jan 15, 2008 - 1:42PM
Re: Deep seadog owners!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please see :www.arctictony.com to see what a deep seadog can do.

Board footer