Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 17:53:25

twotails
Administrator

Contacting Site

Robert Peebles
Oct 1, 2008 - 9:59PM
Contact from potential owners / members

May I respectfully suggest that 'Seadogs' have a think about their contacts with the outside world?

For several months, off and on, I have been trying to get in touch with the organisation to get more details on Seadogs: specifically and most urgently, whether there are any Seadogs anywhere near my home in Fife that I can go and look at, possibly for an introductory sail with a friendly owner.

Previous attempts to contact the HonSec via the website link failed: clearly this link did not work properly.

A stranger searching your website gets little help: lots of chat in the forum, but most of it directed at the cognoscenti: John Lansdell has taken over the role of HonSec, but his email address is known only to those who are already members.....

My own situation is that I am returning to sailing after many years, previously mainly in dinghy classes, and intend to return as a cruising sailor in my retirement. Living on the East coast of Scotland, I realise that choice of boat is fairly critical (drying harbours, exposed waters), and the SeaDog seems a sensible potential choice, but I haven't even seen one 'in the plastic' as it were.

Can someone please help / over advice? My details are as follows:

robert@peebles33.freeserve.co.uk
01592 771355 / 07766 585739

Many thanks,

Robert Peebles
Email 
Eric Richardson
Oct 4, 2008 - 6:44PM
Re: Contact from potential owners / members

Hi Robert

I will give you a ring and we can discuss this further

Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Email 
David
Oct 5, 2008 - 9:10AM

Hi Robert,

"A stranger searching your website gets little help"

Sorry you are experiancing a few frustrations.

Perhaps of little comfort to you now (but I am sure Eric R will point you in the right direction), but when I was after to buy a Seadog a couple of years back I found the Seadog folk I contacted very helpful and informative.

Unfortunately me being based at the other end of the world to you (Jersey) I am not going to be much use for you...and of course with only 140 odd potential owners who are perhaps not all as internet connected as they could be (dare I say for age related reasons?! ) contact may not be as quick as it could be with folk........but I suspect when it is that will be very informative for you.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Wayluya (ex Perro)
Email 
Graham
Oct 5, 2008 - 5:05PM

Dear Robert,
Sorry that your attempts to contact the association have not been succesful, I hope that we can redeem ourselves.
The website is known to be out of date and we are working to improve things. The forum meanwhile has proved useful in that it allows any owner (or anyone else for that matter) to ask questions or respond to them without any input from the webmaster.
Not sure what has gone wrong with your atempts to email us, until recently I have been 'fielding' all emails sent to honsec@seadog.org.uk on behalf of Peter French (due to his illness) and these are now routed directly to John Lansdell. John's contact details were also added to the website a couple of weeks ago (see the Philosophy tab on the site), ironic reaaly that the same page describes how helpful we all are. I have just searced again through all of my emails and I haven't received anything here.
The forum does tend to be a bit quiet during the sailing season as many owners are away on their SeaDogs, we ourselves have just returned home after being on board since April.
Anyway Eric Richardson tells me that he has now been in touch with you so hopefully you can give us all another chance. Perhaps he has also mentioned our annual get-together in Bournmouth in January? A long way for you I know, it is also for us (we live in France), but we are always there.
best wishes
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
mike
Oct 5, 2008 - 11:25PM

If you click on the honsec@ etc., at the front of the site - it puts up an email proforma but with no email address.
Graham
Oct 6, 2008 - 7:25AM
Re: Re: Contact from potential owners / members

The email address is honsec@seadog.org.uk , the reason this information is not transferred automatically to an email client is that the address is displayed as a picture. This change was made to reduce the amount of spam sent to the HOnsec address, before the change it had reached about 50 a day.
Most spam circulation lists are created by crawling the internet harvesting email addresses. By displaying the email address only as a picture it cannot be seen by the 'spiders'
Sorry for any confusion caused, but the spam was getting out of control.
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Robert Peebles
Oct 17, 2008 - 3:04PM

Thanks to everyone who has responded on this matter, both on the forum and direct, especially Eric.

I have now heard from two Scottish owners within easy travelling distance and hope to view their SeaDogs very soon. Similarly joining the Association and maybe even sourcing a SeaDog of my own!

Board footer