Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 17:49:23

twotails
Administrator

Cockpit Sole

Alan and Debbie
Apr 17, 2010 - 8:31PM
Cockpit Sole

Does any one lock down the engine hatch covers? We never have and now find that the brass screwdowns are seized solid. I have had to cut them out and will be having a new set made in stainless in case we get more adventurous than coast hopping. But we wondered if anyone bothered to clamp them down anyway.

Alan and Debbie

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
E Richardson
Apr 18, 2010 - 6:49PM
Re: Cockpit Sole

Hi Alan & Debbie

I only used to lock them down when doing a fairly long trip or if there was a strong wind. I think it helps to reduce the amount of water that gets through if you take a wave into the cockpit. If its a big wave then it runs over the sill into the saloon any way even with the hatch shut.
I think it is worth keeping them in good order just for the added feeling of security.

Regards eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Ian Matthews
Apr 18, 2010 - 7:40PM
Re: Cockpit Sole

Hi Alan and Debbie
I do clamp my cockpit floor down it keeps the noise from the old perkins engine down and stops water from those big waves getting into the engine compartment. I was in a force 8 with breaking waves and at the time my canopy was not up to much and i took a few big waves in the cockpit the things i learnt from that experience was to ensure that the floor is secured down and that you need larger drain holes because the water took its time to drain. I have since got a much better canopy which keeps me warm and dry but have not as yet got larger drain holes still waiting to find some at Beaulieu Boat Jumble fingers crossed this sunday

Best Wishes

Ian

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) PAVONIA

Board footer