Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 17:46:03

twotails
Administrator

Chart Plotter and VHF

John Lansdell
Jun 14, 2010 - 9:04PM
Installation of Chart Plotter and VHF on Twotails

I've put 5 pictures on the Gallery showing the Chart Plotter and VHF installation on Twotails. The basic idea was to ensure that when she was not in use there was no indication of the equipment being used. The prongs on the base for the Chart Plotter slide into the gap between the cabin bulkhead and the steering position moulding. There are no screws holding it in place. I took the pictures as a result of a query from a member and thought others might be interested in them.

001 Chart Plotter installed
002 VHF microphone and radio ready for use alongside steering position
003 Wires for Chart Plotter exiting stbd of steering moulding
004 Removeable base for Chart Plotter (resting against a teapot)
005 Ventilator covering radio access, the mike is stowed above the radio

The Chart Plotter screen is small, but has proved really practical, with a good zoom ability. As sold it had full chart coverage of the UK and Ireland, plus the adjacent coast of France from Belgium to the Brest area. Overall I'm quite impressed with it.

Using the VHF in this position has not proved a problem. I'm still undecided on whether to run a speaker into the nav area.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Alan and Debbie
Jun 15, 2010 - 1:16PM
Re: Installation of Chart Plotter and VHF on Twotails

Ingenious John. I particularly like the teak instrument panel, I may copy that. I've got to ask though- where on earth are your throttle / gear controls or have you gone fly by wire??

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
John Lansdell
Jun 15, 2010 - 8:02PM
Re: Installation of Chart Plotter and VHF on Twotails

The teak instrument panel was a copout. The holes in the grp moulding did not suit what I wanted to fit, hence the teak!

Twotails now has a Vetus single lever control, on the stbd side of the steering position. That left an unattractive hole in the port side. Hence the idea of opening it up for the VHF. I prefer single lever control, one hand for the wheel and one for the engine. It is possible to run the engine without engaging the gearbox if you wish to do so. The only slight snag is that people coming out of the saloon can move the lever accidentally., but that was true with the previous arrangement.

Board footer