Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 17:39:33

twotails
Administrator

Borg-Warner Gearbox -2

Robert Peebles
Sep 8, 2014 - 2:18PM
B_W Velvet Drive failure

Taking part in the Forth Bridges Flotilla yesterday, was enjoying the fine day in a fleet of 170 or so boats, cruising along at 3.5 to 4 knots into a slight swell when suddenly engine was racing as though prop out of the water. Throttled back to find that we were losing way and no forward power, so were soon broadside-on to a rapidly approaching armada of 100 or so other vessels. Could have been worse - we could have been on our own some way from land. Rapid rescue and tow to nearby marina saved further embarassment, thankfully.

On investigation, we discovered that we still had fully operational reverse. Disconnecting cable to allow manual gear selection gave no change: not a whisper under forward, but again apparently fully functioning reverse. Fluid level was low, about 1mm below 'L' on dipstick, but fluid was very clean. Topped up (twice, with an engine/gearbox run in between) with a total of about 400 ml transmission oil. No efffect on getting the forward gear to work. No sign of oil in exhaust discharge. There had been no noticed prior warning as to a fault developing - no apparent slippage or noise, just sudden lose of drive.

Maker's plate seems to be missing, so I don't know the exact model, but it's a 2.10:1 ratio, anti-clock rotaion of both engine and prop - sounds like either a 70/05 or a 72/25?

I presume I'll have to take the gearbox out, but any ideas before I get that done?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Jacarah
Email 
John Lansdell
Sep 8, 2014 - 7:59PM
Re: B_W Velvet Drive failure

Sorry to hear of your problem. We had a somewhat similar failure on Twotails two weeks ago, but ours was loss of astern. Engine taken out, the box taken to Lancing Marine at 08.30, and they had it repaired by 14.30 the same day. The clutch plate had failed.

I have heard of people being able to get the gearbox our without removing the engine, but it must be quite a struggle.

Lancing Marine are on the outskirts of Brighton. Phone 01273 410 025, contact Mike Bellamy.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) twotails
Email 
Robert Peebles
Sep 8, 2014 - 9:38PM
Re: B_W Velvet Drive failure

Many thanks for that, John, and especially for the phone call to discuss.

I'll phone Mike Bellamy and see what I can arrange and ask if he has a preferred carrier who can uplift from our club if I get the gearbox onto a pallet. I had been pre-warned that the box would be far too heavy to lift manually, but assume that our friendly club engineer (who has volunteered to take the box out) has suitable lifting tackle. I'm advised that it's probably about 65-70 kg, so I presume it would be ok to lift it on the main boom so that we can swing it overboard onto the pontoon.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Kind regards,

Robert

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Jacarah

Board footer