Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 17:10:43

twotails
Administrator

Bige Drain Plug

Dorothy & Keith
Mar 23, 2009 - 10:43AM
Bilge drain plug

At the weekend, we noticed for the first time ever an appreciable amount of water in the bilge channel in the main cabin. I presumed that the drain hole through to the main bilge and bilge pump under the cockpit must have become blocked and in trying to 'clear' it discovered the drain hole was sealed by a huge metal drain plug. We eventually got the plug out, drained and pumped out the water and left the drain plug out, but the question remains: whatever is the drain plug for? Are we OK to leave it out permanently?

Incidentally, there was good reason for the water to have entered in the first place, it's just that we expected it to have drained into the main bilge and been pumped away.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Sea Lark
Email 
Eric Richardson
Mar 23, 2009 - 1:56PM
Re: Bilge drain plug

Hi There

Yes the plug is there for a reason, the idea is that if you are taking on water from aft the plug will help to contain it behind the main bulkhead. When the boats were built the main bulkhead was sealed as a safety measure. I am sure that most seadogs will have had various holes etc drilled throught the bulkhead thus losing its integrity. I removed this plug and left it out for convenience on Taliesin as it was already redundant in terms of other holes. If you were to undertake a long crossing etc then restoring the integrity of the main bulkhead would be worth while.

Regards Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Email 
Dorothy & Keith
Mar 23, 2009 - 2:34PM
Re: Re: Bilge drain plug

Thanks Eric, in that case we will happily leave it out.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Sea Lark
Email 
Alan and Debbie
Mar 23, 2009 - 5:30PM

Just as a matter of interest where do you access this plug? Star Dog has a 9" x 6" hatch on the bilge line of the galley sole but I've never noticed a plug of any description. I do know that it is not in place because we periodically flush through from the heads to check that everything is clear and I've sometimes wondered if anything may get wet in the engine bay. Although I can hear a trickle into the engine bay (am I allowed to call it the engine room??)when we do this no water is evident. Is there a hidden drop tube or something?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Eric Richardson
Mar 24, 2009 - 9:44AM

Hi Alan

The hole is in the bulkhead in front of the engine at saloon floor level, a bit difficult to see, but if you follow the flow of water from the saloon you will see it run out into the bilge in front of the engine quite low down. Best way is to get a torch and try to look in front of engine when water is running or if its a bit made up just trickling. Will find it for you if we have the good luck to meet up this year.

Regards to you both Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Email 
John Lansdell
Mar 24, 2009 - 2:42PM
Re: Re: Bilge drain plug

Thanks Eric, Learn something everyday! When I was working on Twotails I found the brass fitting in the bulkhead, without plug, and did not think much about it. Now I'm worried about what will happen when I go round Cape Horn! (In my dreams). John L.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
Graham Matthews
Mar 24, 2009 - 6:16PM
Re: Re: Re: Bilge drain plug

You should worry! Not only did I make the hole a bit bigger on Dougal, because it kept getting bunged up and wouldn't empty the 'rat run' but we have a blooming great water pump access trap behind the galley drawers

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal

Board footer