Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 17:02:28

twotails
Administrator

Alternators

Alan and Debbie
Jan 24, 2009 - 7:09PM
Alternators

Does anyone know what alternator is fitted to the 4107? Mine seems to be a standard Lucas unit but I am having trouble matching the wiring terminal configuration. It has two stud and two spade connectors one small and one large in each case. There are no markings of any description on the casing, not even Lucas, I'm just guessing that from comparison with others. The current (no pun intended)one is ok but I want to be forearmed.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Jan K
Jan 25, 2009 - 9:57PM
Re: Alternators

I recently replaced the alternator on my 4-107. It was a like-for-like replacement ... using a Lucas LRA100. I am not sure if this is the right model for this engine but it seems to work ok. These are used on Minis and are available from most motor spares retailers. It also depends how much output you are looking for. The LRA100 only produces approx. 40 amps

Jan K

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Gina
Email 
Alan and Debbie
Jan 26, 2009 - 12:24PM

Jan

thanks, I'll have a look.

Alan
Eric Richardson
Jan 26, 2009 - 12:55PM

Hi Alan

There is tremendous variation in the alternator range, many of the early boats were fitted with dynamos then car alternators became popular and so what ever was to hand was fitted. The only thing you need to watch if fitting one of the modern higher output units is the drive system. In my opinion anything above about 70 amp output becomes too high a load for a single A series vee belt.
Most good motorist discount shops sell these at reasonable prices and if you then fit one of the intellegent controllers it should cover all needs.

Regards Eric

Board footer