Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 16:54:05

twotails
Administrator

Aft Cabin Locker

Alan and Debbie McKilnerhone
Aug 26, 2008 - 8:02AM
Aft Locker bulkhead

Does anyome know if the small bulkhead right aft at the end of the aft cabin is structural? I want to take out the middle section to create a single, wider inset locker. We have bad condensation problems here and the existing locker is virtually unuseable. My idea is to take out the centre pillar, square off the opening, insert a prefabricated locker flanged around the outside and insulate the remaining void behind it. The frefabriacted locker will be quite substantial and probably replace any strength lost by removal of the centre pillar. Anyone done it?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Philip Ellis
Aug 28, 2008 - 8:51PM
Re: Aft Locker bulkhead

On earlier boats the oak Samson post carried on down to the lower part of transom and thus gave support to the after deck, the central divider of the locker front hid this post from view. So I imagine in those circumstances it (the locker front) could be described as cosmetic.
It may therefore be worthwhile asking, has this central divider been beefed up at all so as to give some support to the after deck in lieu of the Samson post? particularly as you describe this as a Pillar!

I have recently attended to leaking pushpit fixing bolts and the redundant hole that went up through the transom capping to the stern light, this was draining water from the failed hull deck joint which is where nearly all leaks have been traced back to.

Regards
Philip
Alan and Debbie
Aug 31, 2008 - 8:18PM
Re: Aft Locker bulkhead

Philip

Thanks. Co-incidentally we too found a redundant hole and have also moved the former sternlight cable, since then no damp problems! We have painted out the aft locker and intend to monitor the situation for the rest of the season. You have confirmed my suspicion regarding the support provided by the bulkhead so if I do go ahead I will replicate the central pillar as part of the insert locker structure I had intended to trim the opening with 30mm stainless angle and will now include a central support.

Regards

Alan

Board footer