Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 16:49:54

twotails
Administrator

Additional Hatch in Aft Cabin

Steve Abbott
Oct 10, 2008 - 12:47PM
Additional hatch in aft cabin

Because our boat is in Greece, it can get ****ed hot in the aft cabin, despite never shutting the hatch. Part of the problem it seems to me is that we don't get a through-flow of air (the dorade vents aren't really of any value in this situation). Consequently, I'm considering cutting a hole and adding an opening hatch in the aft wall of the coachroof (i.e. overlloking the aft samson post).

So, is this a reasonable thing to do? would it cause structural weakness? is there any likelihood of encountering supporting structures or electical wiring between the fibreglass and internal wooden covering? has anyone done anything similar, and if so, what type and size of hatch?

It seems to me that if I did this job, an attractive fitting would be a traditional circular bronze "porthole", to match the one in a similar position in the forepeak; consequently, where would I get one from?

Thanks in advance for your help.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Arethusa
Email 
Graham
Oct 10, 2008 - 1:04PM
Re: Additional hatch in aft cabin

Several owners have fitted a hatch in this position, for extra light, extra ventilation, and for those that are slimmer than me an emergency exit. Little if any loss of strength if fitted properly.

Board footer