Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 16:48:21

twotails
Administrator

Accomodation - Prospective Buyer

Jonathan Pearce
Jul 18, 2007 - 9:54AM
Seadog accommodation - prospective buyer

We are prospective Seadog buyers – currently sailing a 22’ E-boat out of Milford Haven but outgrowing it (I’m 6’2” but the boat only has sitting headroom…) and love the looks/practicality of the Seadog, especially with the ability to dry out in the West Welsh coast harbours.
My concerns lie in
1. As the E-boat is a small pocket rocket, is the Seadog’s windward progress likely to be too disappointing? I am not a boy racer but I don’t like a tacking angle of 180 degrees.
2. And more importantly, really – with the forepeak arrangement the normal ‘owner’s’ double berth is missing. I’m not sure about having to transit the cockpit on a rainy night at anchor to visit the heads or bring the mate her morning credentials. The other option is a double on the port saloon berth – some adverts seem to offer this. What are the sleeping arrangement (double) practicalities from an owner’s perspective?

I’d welcome forum users opinions before I go looking.
If there are any Seadogs sailing in West Wales I’d be fascinated in a look over – I’ve only seen virtual ones so far.
Email 
Alan and Debbie
Jul 29, 2007 - 10:06PM
Re: Seadog accommodation - prospective buyer

We have converted our aft cabin into a luxurious double with an infill to the standard arrangement(there are details available on the forum somewhere). We also had new cushions made with few joints and breathable fabric which has ended the problem of airing bedding daily! As for the trek from aft to the head, with with a good canopy it isn't a problem although it is a bit of a chore!The main benefit we find is that it keeps the sleeping accomodation apart from all other activities. As far as the preparation of beloved's early repast is concerned - it also keeps the disturbance separate. In all, I always proclaimed that I would never have a centre cockpit yacht but I absolutely love our Seadog. I doubt that you will find a safer yacht for your money. With regard to windward ability, this is our first season and with this years weather conditions have adopted the policy that windward is what the Perkins is for! However, the sailing we have achieved so far has been impressive and to quote a magazine review "The Seadog is more of a yacht with a big motor than a motor sailer" We are over the moon with our Dog and I really do think that they are probably the best compromise of accommodation, sailing ability, value for money and seaworthyness around at the moment, and apart from all that Seadogs look so handsome! One of the best compliments we have had so far is from the harbourmaster at the Royal Harwich Yacht Club who over the radio said that he would always find room for a Sea Dog and when he took our ropes wished that he had a sweet soundung Perkins in his launch.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Jonathan Pearce
Aug 6, 2007 - 4:33PM

Thanks for that, and John's response - I am now aware of 4 Seadogs within 1 mile of our home berth in Neyland, Milford Haven and have spoken to 2 owners! An overwhelming welcome.... We even found that Leonora is berthed 1 pontoon away from us, but although we peered through the windows (sorry) I don't know who her new owner is. Looks like work in progrss inside, though. We will blag a visit to a local Seadog to see the accomodation - meanwhile thanks to all!
Off now to plan our first week's summer cruise up across Cardigan bay to Bardsey Island - lots nice drying harbours for an E-boat, even if we can't stand up... Give a wave to us - green hull, called Eventide, as we pass.....
Email 
Tim
Aug 31, 2007 - 1:32PM
Re: Re: Seadog accommodation - prospective buyer

I am also prospective buyer of a Seadog.
I can find a lot of reference on the web to 'poor' windward performance of Seadog but no real information - what is poor in this context?
Can anyone advise of tacking angle or is this a reference more related to strength of wind ?
Email 
anthony george kearney
Jan 15, 2008 - 1:28PM

Mohican has a double and a single berth in the stern. Great if you like footsies. She also has a rear spray hood which I used by raising the sheet anchor points. This is temporary. For Summer sailing It is removed. Well deck and cabins nice and dry. Based in Ramsgate

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Mohican owner
Email 
Gordon Keir
Jan 20, 2008 - 7:33PM

Another point on accomadation - adding room to one of the main cabin berths.

The port berth (already longer than the starboard berth) in the main cabin can be extended to cater for 'over 6 footers' by turning the cupboard forward of the berth into an occasional trotter box. I have a long crew member and gave him more room by making the door frame removable. I unscrewed the frame, modified it to make the hole deeper (below the height of the berth cushion) and then re-located it with removable pins.

Board footer