Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Wed 19th Oct 2016 16:18:01

Lewis Peake

Mizzen tabernacle

Hello. I hope this isn't too foolish an enquiry but due to four rusted bolts (the four that attach the tabernacle to the aft cabin bulkhead) and, as a consequence, rotten wood, I have to replace the two side panels of my tabernacle. If possible, I'd rather do this without dropping the mast, either by removing one panel at a time and strapping the mast foot to the remaining panel, or tying the foot to four corners (winches and cleats?) and taking the whole thing off. Has anyone done anything similar and survived to tell the tale? Many thanks.

#2 Thu 02nd Feb 2017 00:06:56

Kittijay

Re: Mizzen tabernacle

Hello Lewis. I've only just managed to log in to the site.  Had my password wrong before. In case you still read the forum.  I have rot in the bulkhead too and will have to tackle it. I recently added another two galvanised bolts to the tabernacle.  I think I will tackle it by doing a section at a time and covering the whole bulkhead with thin ply afterwards.  I have a whole list of things to do before that as directed by the surveyor last year after a compulsory insurance survey.   All the best Martin Waterman. Kittijay. Kent.

#3 Wed 20th Dec 2017 16:03:48

Lewis Peake

Re: Mizzen tabernacle

Hi Martin. Sorry for my lack of response but this is the first time I've logged in for months! Yes, I had a bit of bulkhead rot too but in the end decided to pay the £95 to drop the mizzen (and £95 to put it back up again) and put a whole new tabernacle on in one go. As you can see I didn't get much interest in my predicament from members and didn't want to go and do anything foolish - so went for the safest option instead. My tabernacle was too far gone for extra bolts though that seems like a good idea if things on your boat aren't so bad. I hope you managed it all OK and had a good summer's sail. Thanks and best wishes. Lewis

Board footer