Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Mon 25th Apr 2016 09:02:45

J Woodford

Difficult Starting of a PERKINS 108

Has anybody got any suggestions on why my PERKINS 108 38 HP has become difficult to start from cold.I replaced the glow plug, cleaned up the Air Inlet Filter, last year sent the Injector Fuel Pump away for overhaul, and replacement of internal and external seals. Was all put back, and all inlet and outlet fuel lines fully tightened, Engine started fine and ran like a sewing machine, all through winter..One turn of Ignition key for Heater Plug for 30 seconds, smoke OK, then further turn on Ignition key , and Hey presto, engine was fired up and running...Just recently, after glow plug on for 30 seconds, and an additional 30 seconds for very cold weather, with the extra turn of the Ignition key to start engine, it just continues to turn without firing...there is what sounds like a hissing noise, which would indicate an air leak somewhere. I have tightened all Low Pressure lines, primed fuel via Lift pump, and can see no fuel leaks..But Engine just turns, draining the battery...To stop the battery being completely drained, I squirt some Easy Start into Air Inlet Manifold, and with one turn of Key, engine comes to life..Once warm, engine will start with one turn of key...
I know is not a good idea to use Easy Start, so has anybody any ideas, what the problem may be...?

#2 Thu 12th May 2016 20:22:25

Gina

Re: Difficult Starting of a PERKINS 108

Sorry to hear about the difficult starting. Well done for removing and reinstalling the injector pump. I had a 4.107 that started without heater or flame start in a couple of seconds winter or summer. Winters are quite mild on the Isle-of-Wight but even so, I'd question even the good starting example if it took 30 seconds on the glow plug. Your symptoms sound like poor compression. The hissing sounds like atomised fuel on its way out of the exhaust.  As a personal view, I'd keep using EasyStart (I have heard WD40 does the trick and is less harmful)  for the rest of the season and replace the engine over winter. Parts4Engines do a an exchange head and block for the 4.108 M. Swap over the ancillary bits (you have already invested in the injector pump) and you should be well set up for next year. Regards, David

#3 Tue 24th May 2016 08:56:46

J Woodford

Re: Difficult Starting of a PERKINS 108

Yes thanks for advise, however the 4.108 now seems to start up fine...I again checked all lo pressure lines, filters, new glow plug works fine, etc etc....I think it was difficult to start, just due to cold weather, on our first cruise from Hollowshore to Gillingham Martina...on River Medway it performed fine, just idling along at 1500 revs, and restarting easy with out glow plug...Nattering to another yachtsman...as one does all the time in marina's..he suggested Easy Start was not a good idea, as there are some additives in the mixture, that get into the oil via Rocker Box, and degrade the oil...A better standby in emergency is a battery hair drier, to blow some hot air into Air Inlet Manifold...a couple of times, and engine should fire up...on the subject of the Injector Pump., there is a raised piece on the splined shaft, which locates on the timing gear, there is only one way the whole assembly fits together, but is not easy to line up for fitting, as is impossible to see.It only goes together with incremental movement of the splined shaft until it all just slides together ...then screw the injector pump onto the block...

Board footer