Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 22:19:07

twotails
Administrator

Wiring Diagram

looking for a wiring diagram for the console and the ignition switch if possible

thanks in advance

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kushka
Email 
Phil
Nov 16, 2012 - 11:04PM
Re: info

James

Hi

Its unlikely that the wiring is orriginal, and it may be different depending on the altenator that is fitted.

However most of the principles remain the same whatever the charging circuit.

If you could describe what set up you have and what your problem is I am sure that one of us can draw you a diagram of the correct generic circuit.

Regards - Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
james
Nov 18, 2012 - 9:29AM

Hi phil

the alternattor is a lucas type,

I have no power to the console,

I have a on/off toggle switch at the side of the console, the lucas starter switch has no power its a 4 pole type, 2 reds, 1 blue and a black with green stripe from the toggle switch.

the red light on the console is not lighting,

The power comes from the loom at the front of the engine, through a buzz bar,

it seems no power or negative for the console?

the previous owner has made a bit of a mess of the loom, adding other wires to it.

if you can steer me in the right direction would be great.
thanks james

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kushka
Email 
Phil
Nov 18, 2012 - 6:18PM
Seadog electricery

Hi James

Sounds as if you have the same problem I had when we purchased Soyakaze. We had the Lucas 11AC altenator which has external 4TR regulator and a 16 RA relay. I had the Altenator tested by a guy who rebuilt clasic car electrics it was ok and the faults were in the birds nest of wires. The problem was the doggy wiring had blow the external regulator. I paid through the nose for a new regulator (not made for about 30 years I think) only to have it blow again due to a second fault in the wiring a week later.

After weeks of head scratching and standing on my head in the engine compartment I riped out the old primary electrics from the consul to the altenator and installed a modern Altenator and split charge sytem to supply the two batteries. It took one afternoon to install the new system that now provides a reliable charge of up to 4 times the Amps to the old Lucas set up.

I will email you the Lucas circuit diagrams and hand book but I must recommend that you modernise the system as a) its will become increasingly difficult to get Lucas spares, b) the performance is not up to the charging needs of a modern system and c) the modified orriginal wring could fail again at any time and may even be dangerious.

I will sort out the detais of the system I installed, take some photo's and email you that as well

The old instrument pannel did not need a negative earth return (unless you had any bulbs to power) as it only acts as a switch to the starter, heater etc. the altenator warning light is powered from the 4TR.
By the way you mention a toggle switch thats non standard what was this ment to do ?

Regards - Phil
Email 
Mark
Nov 23, 2012 - 11:28PM

There was a toggle switch on the console on the hatch side of Salia which switched the instrument lighting on.

#2 Tue 22nd Mar 2016 20:18:27

Gina

Re: Wiring Diagram

TAD has a diagram of the wiring harness they sell for the Perkins 4108/4107. Colours will be different of course but it will give you an idea of the basic loom. http://www.tadiesels.com/assets/docs/te … ctions.pdf.

Board footer