Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Sat 04th Apr 2015 18:02:34

Salia

We are registered.

Hi all we are the very proud and relatively new owners of "Salia" moored at Newport isle of Wight.
Currently working on a nav station mod where the outer half lifts and the inner section has a fixed outer rim and lift out middle. The whole thing comes apart so we can slide boxes in and out of the storage space. Many other projects on the go It,s looking good so far. Great forum, so much information. Hope to meet other owners along the South coast.
Our regards to all.

Mike and Jan Salter

#2 Thu 07th May 2015 11:41:51

Gina

Re: We are registered.

Hi Salia,
Welcome!
We saw you moored alongside a pontoon at the Odessa. Gina spent the winter on the opposite bank of the Medina, lifted out, on Newport Quay. If you ever lift out; beware the triatic stay. The Odessa use Island Cranes as does Newport Harbour. There is a technique to avoid snagging the stay. I've never seen the same crane driver twice, so the crew has to be educated at every lift. 
Gina spends her summers on a CHC pontoon between the Clarence yard and East Cowes sailing club (new members welcome :-))
I'm not sure if you've lifted out this year (and the mud at low tide may save you from the worst of it) but in some years (last year being a case in point) bottom fouling is a particular problem on the Medina. Can I recommend the Folly scrubbing piles and the hire of a petrol pressure washer from one of the chaps in the portacabin in front of the old harbour office (where you also book the piles). Timed right, you can tie-up in the morning; take a civilised lunch at the Folly; deploy the pressure washer in the afternoon; apply a coat of antifouling in the early evening and head back up river with the tide.
Regards
David and Lorraine

#3 Sat 23rd May 2015 23:09:39

Salia

Hi skipper and crew of Gina,

Many thanks for your kind welcome. I know your fine vessel well, I work out of Clearance boat yard and pass "Gina" in the RIB everyday, she  looks well looked after and well fitted out. I have a lot of work to do on Salia, the cutlass bearing has gone and the whole exhaust needs replacing, so we have our work cut out. We are planning to cruise the west country later in the summer (if we can get all the work done that is!!!) Would like to meet up and look over Gina, it makes work on your own boat so much easier if one can get to look over a sister ship.
We have so much to learn about Seadogs it would fast track things to speak with another owner.
I work for Ocean Coats based in Clarence Yard I think the owner of the business Rob's father is the commodore of ECSC surname Walker?
Anyway please let us know if we could meet up for a chat and a look over Gina.

Many thanks

Mike and Jan Salter

#4 Wed 27th May 2015 21:52:08

Gina

Hi Salia,
Gina is tucked up in the Granville dock at Dover as of today. So she'll not be available for a while.  We have a few cruising plans over the next month or so. Mind you, we nearly came a cropper after leaving Newhaven; the oil change hand pump decided to deposit all the oil in the bilge. I guard against such eventualities with a cocktail of lubricating compounds; so a few seconds of no oil pressure should be survivable. We carry the odd gallon of oil; so a hasty fill-up and low revs saw us back in the harbour in trouble-shooting mode. A thumb and two fingers from a Marigold glove inserted one inside the other (Babushka-like) pushed over the pump outlet and secured with a jubilee clip did the trick. I suspect either a kink in the rocker crankcase fumes flexible outlet pipe or a worn pump "O" ring. Either way, I'll not trust one of those pumps again. There's a BBQ after "Sail the Wight" at East Cowes SC on 6th June (all welcome). Why not pop along?
Regards,
David and Lorraine

Board footer