Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 10th Apr 2015 21:01:40

Salia

Parsons box

Hi all, the Parsons box, I must say I'm at a loss. Can it be replaced by a Vetus anti siphon unit? Please any info will help. Just pulled out our Parsons box, it's rusty and in a mess. Do I revamp and keep it or take this opportunity to get rid? Please help all. Many thanks, Mike and Jan of "Salia"

#2 Fri 10th Apr 2015 22:43:30

twotails
Administrator

Re: Parsons box

Hi. Quick reply.  Have a look at the "Blocked Exhaust" entry in the old Forum entries.  This is a good place to start!
Regards,  John Lansdell.

#3 Sat 11th Apr 2015 08:54:03

twotails
Administrator

Hi!  There is a picture of a Parsons Box repair/modification on the Modifications Page.   Regards, John Lansdell.

#4 Sun 12th Apr 2015 23:02:13

Salia

Many thanks John.
I would like to replace the Parsons box with a Vetus plastic unit but the exhaust from engine to the box is 50mm ID and 40mm from then on. Has anyone fitted the Vetus waterlock? And if so how did the deal with the size change.
Any help would be much appreciated.

#5 Mon 13th Apr 2015 09:42:28

twotails
Administrator

Hi.  Yes, I have, but it was associated with an engine change to a Beta BV1505.  The Perkins exhaust is dry and hot from engine to the Parsons box.  If you want to use Vetus units the exhaust has to have the water injected at the point of exit from the engine.  In my case I put the Silencer box in the bilge between engine and fuel tank, then led the cooled exhaust up to a Vetus antisiphon box where the Parsons Box was.

John Lansdell.

#6 Tue 14th Apr 2015 06:42:23

Kushka

Hi I must be one of the few fans of the Parsons box.Folks have always complained about the"hot" exhaust,I could always put my hand on it,thanks to the water cooled manifold.The downside I see to direct water injection is twofold  1 danger of raw water squirting into engine 2 having to drain the vetus box( which I might forget).I know the Parsons box get worn out but being a retired maintenance Turner with machines and welders,that for me is not a problem . While on the subject does anyone know why the box is so called? Thanks. Ronnie.

#7 Tue 14th Apr 2015 22:06:29

Salia

Thanks again John for your prompt response.
I have Bowman water injected heat exchanger, so all the exhaust is cooled. I feel I need to have 50mm exhaust to a Vetus waterlock, then 50mm hose to a vetus goose neck, again 50mm hose to the transom valve where I can reduce to 40mm.
On your set up when you say muffler do you mean waterlock. Is that your boat in picture 51 in the gallery, looks like a very neat job indeed. I like the strainer positioned there.
Regards Mike

#8 Wed 15th Apr 2015 08:42:00

twotails
Administrator

Yes, it is a waterlock in the bilge.  Regretably I did not think of putting my inlet strainer alongside the goose neck, so no, it is not my installation.  Regards,  John L.

Board footer