Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 27th Mar 2015 00:30:52

Kushka

Bilge Keel Bolts

Hi folks thought i would check the bilge keel bolts. Are they the ones about 3/8" dia behind the saloon berths? If so how would one remove them for inpection ( jam nuts?) Or is inspection not required?  Thanks. Ronnie.

#2 Fri 27th Mar 2015 10:08:37

twotails
Administrator

Re: Bilge Keel Bolts

The only time you should need to remove a keel bolt it if you see a bump appear on the hull surface around the keel.  Typically it will be about 0.2 inches high, and 0.5 inches in diameter.  This results from the bolt head rusting.  The cure is to dig out the bump, and the filler behind it.  You will then see the bolt head, with an Imperial size Allen Key socket.  You need one person outside to hold the Allen Key and another inside with the spanner.  You will almost certainly need to replace the bolt.  There are 50 plus bolts holding each keel on, and unfortunately some are behind the fuel tanks, making them virtually inaccessible.  I have a few bolts of the correct size, and will measure them so that we can source some replacements.  Rust marks on the inside of the hull are almost certainly only cosmetic and can be cured with wire brush and paint.

#3 Fri 27th Mar 2015 19:41:12

Kushka

Re: Bilge Keel Bolts

Thanks John reply makes goo.d sense. I thought that bolts were threaded into inserts in keel flange. I have not noticed any swelling or the likes at anti-foul time. Thanks from me for your work on setting up the forum.Ronnie

Board footer