Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 22:15:14

twotails
Administrator

Windscreens, In Acrylic

I am considering replacing the windscreen on Dougal with one made of 'oven cast' acrylic in either 6 or 8mm acrylic, possibly tinted but probably clear.
The guy I am talking to is positive that the finished result will be at least as strong as the aluminium and polycarbonate sheet original and will be capable of taking the spray-hood and aft cover without the need for a frame.
Any thoughts? Anyone tried this route?
thanks
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Philip Ellis
Sep 7, 2010 - 9:20AM
Re: Windscreens, In Acrylic

Hi Graham,
I too have along with others are looking at screen replacement.
A frameless alternative is an interesting concept.
As I understand Acylic (perspex) is available in sheet that is either cast or extruded. Is your chap proposing that a shaped former is constructed and then the sheet heat formed in an oven over this former and then trimmed to final dimension?
If so then think with careful use of ss joining plates the it could be quite sucessfull. Still qute a job though .
I would love to hear more.
Regards
Philip

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada
Email 
Graham
Sep 7, 2010 - 2:40PM

Hi Philip,
Yes your assumption is correct, I have asked 3 companies in the solent area about doing this and one of them has been particularly helpful. Steve Searle of TP Marine (http://www.tpmarine.co.uk/) has shown me some samples and examples and the project looks feasible. The new screen would still be in 2 parts (limitation on the oven size but also much more economical with material as the curve would need a massive sheet). The 2 pieces would be joined in the middle using a third piece of acrylic which would form a strongpoint for the stainless bracing bars for the windscreen itself and also the sprayhood.
He is talking about 600 quid plus vat for the job.
regsrds
Graham

Email 
Philip Ellis
Sep 7, 2010 - 8:36PM

Hi Graham.
Thanks for the response.
Have you discssed the method of fixing to the lower recess ie mechanical with an appropiate mastic or just adhesive mastic?
Also the center joining and strut method. Perhaps a Stainless H section might be appropiate or a clamp.
When I measured the screen I was fairly sure that the one side was slightly larger than the other is your completley symetrical?
Also what method of attaching the hood are you considering.

Sorry to be asking so many questions but this method would overcome the problem with the aluminium frame and some corrosion problems.
and does the quoted price includes making the former?

Regards
Philip

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada
Email 
jimlloyd-davies
Sep 8, 2010 - 12:03AM

if the detais are right i would be interested at a slightly better prise.keep me in the loop on this one.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) gabrille b
Email 
Graham
Sep 8, 2010 - 9:22AM

Hi Philip,
More than happy to discuss all these points. If we go ahead it will be a large investment for us and we need to get it right.
The cost of the former has not been discussed, all costs would be included in the price quoted, I suppose potentially any future screens could be made cheaper, but possibly TP Marine have factored this in (maybe no profit on the first one because later sales will follow).
We did talk about bonding the bottom rdge of the screen but Steve felt that due to the aditional stresses caused by the sprayhood and expansion in heat we would be advised to retain the self tappers, I thought maybe increase the size a little and fit them in a sleeve with a large washer on the outside.
I like the idea of a stainless joining section. We were working on using an extra piece of acrylic but the stainless H section appeals to me. Are such things easily available or would it need to be fabricated?
Yes I think the original plastics are different sizes, possibly so that the central strut clears the hatchway. The new one would have to do the same thing.
I plan to use fixings similar to current for the sprayhood attachment, 2 'lift the dot' in the centre and press studs the rest of the way and finishing with bungee elastic and hooks at the ends. Any other ideas?
regards
Graham

Email 
Graham
Sep 8, 2010 - 9:23AM

Jim,
I will keep updating this forum until I have either fitted one or decided not a good idea.
regards
Graham

Board footer