Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 22:04:06

twotails
Administrator

Wet exhaust

Great to see so many people at the Elstead. Great talk on Scandinavia on Sunday.

I have changed the Perkins to a wet exhaust with a 'quiet flow' waterlock, which is low down by the port side bearer and done away with the old Parsons Box. All seemed to go well on the trial but this was only on the Dart. There is no syphon break but the raw water pump is above the W/L anyway I think. Just a bit worried about in backflow problems. I would be pleased to hear from you with any thoughts.Thanks.R

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Spinner
Email 
Eric Richardson
Jan 20, 2009 - 7:37PM
Re: Wet exhaust

Hi Russell
I converted Taliesin soon after I got her, I am sure that what you have done is ok! "but" I finished up with water in the engine having been tied to a pontoon in a strong blow from astern with waves hitting the transom and pumping the water back up the exhaust. I then fitted a swan neck where the Parsons box had been so that this could not happen. I also fitted a syphon break at the side of it, this was probably unnecesary but boosted my confidence. It is important to make sure that the water injection point on the exhaust bend is below manifold level so that you cannot get splash back into the manifold. I have seen engines with seized exhaust valves due to splash back. This occurs when the pull stop is out and the engine spinning to a stop or cranking without actually starting.

Regards Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Email 
Russell Stevens
Jan 21, 2009 - 1:25PM
Re: Re: Wet exhaust

Thanks Eric.

I will check this again.

Russell

Board footer