Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 22:02:23

twotails
Administrator

Water ingress near to stern tube

Gay Madrigal is an early one. Have had 2 osmosis treatments to hull or part of hull.

GM has experienced sea water ingress for the last 2 seasons. I thought it was stern tube but it the shaft is only 6 years old and is solid and well packed with grease. I now suspect there is a weakness in the area around the stern tube.

I believe there is a system wherby a silicone material can be injected into the skin of the hull which will expand and set. Obviously holes will need to be drillled in the outer skin.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem ? Any suggestions will be welcome.
Alan Sheridan

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Gay Madrigal
Email 
Eric Richardson
Dec 4, 2011 - 1:08PM
Re: Water ingress near to stern tube

Hi Alan

I suggest that you take a bit of care to be absolutely sure where the water is comming from before starting repairs. I have seen a Seadog taking water from under the top of the Rudder gland. This finishes up in a similar spot. Caused by the holding down screws corroding off. I am unable to remember how the stern gland is retained, but would guess that it is a full stern tube system where the Cutlass bearing is on one end of the tube and the Stern Gland/Stuffing box screwed to the other end of said tube.
If so it may pay to remove the complete assembly and reseal it all.
Sorry I cant be more helpful.
Eric
Graham
Dec 4, 2011 - 2:26PM

Confirm what Eric says about the rudder gland. On Dougal this is very similar to the stern gland and the top of the rudder post is about water level, it doesn't take much to put the top of the rudder post below water level and then if not properly packed it will leak, On Dougal some of the water would lurk on the triangular section of grp under the steering radius and eventually find its way into the hole under the stern gland, thence to the deep bilge. I re-packed the gland and it solved the problem, had to tighten it a turn or so during the fist season, too tight and the steering gets stiff.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Alan Sheridan
Dec 10, 2011 - 6:39PM

I went to the boat yard again this morning. We have decided (on your advice) to remove the rudder and check the gland out. Obviously a lot cheaper than removing the engine!
Wil let you know how I get on in January, many thanks

Email 
Alan Sheridan
Jun 1, 2012 - 10:51AM

Many thanks to Eric and to Dougal. I launched Gay Madrigal 3 weeks ago, having repacked stern tube with new grease. So far water ingress has been minimal. Lets hope this simple solution works for the boat.
I have done this in the past so was expecting a more serious conclusion. Thanks again.

Board footer