Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 22:01:28

twotails
Administrator

Waste holding tank

Hi All
I am looking to purchase a 1970 Seadog which will be kept in a marina. They require that discharge from the heads must be retained until at sea. Has anyone completed this task.
By the way a great owner's club site.
Email 
John Lansdell
Jul 16, 2012 - 10:53AM
Re: Waste holding tank

Hi Peter,
Yes, I have, but never used it for real.
When we bought Twotails (ex Sardan) she had a Blakes toilet fitted, which I did not like and replaced it with a Lavac. This has the advantage of a simple pump. The outlet has changeover cock and the output can go overboard, or to a pipe below the toilet bowl. From there is a pipe down the gulley below the saloon floor, thence into the space below the engine.
The floor of the engine bilge has been reprofiled to raise its floor at the forward end, leaving a small sump at the after end. Above this is a flexible tank, resting on a number of plastic pipes. The outlet to this is a flexible pipe with a pump in it and this is long enough to throw the contents clear of the hull.
While the engine was out I had an engine drip tray made, and fitted it.
On the suction side of the Lavac pump is another changeover cock, one going to the toilet pan, the other to the focsle floor, which is now a shower tray.
Any queries, please get in touch.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
paul
Jul 24, 2012 - 9:46PM

Hi we meet up with spinner in Dartmouth, they had a tank made that the toilet was mounted on. I think it was made by tec tanks and they said that the company had kept the pattern. It was a neat job and made very good use of the space.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Melisse
Email 
John Lansdell
Jul 29, 2012 - 8:37PM

The company is Tek Tanks, based near Alton. A very professional outfit.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
John
Sep 5, 2012 - 8:43AM

Yes. I had a holding tank fitted by the local shipwrights in Faversham several years ago. The tank is situated next to the heads and gives access for emptying on the foredeck. It is rigid and naturally of a unique angular shape. I have used the tank quite continously since then, and experienced no problems with it. The only negative point I have detected is that the flexible pipe provided by marinas for pumping out holding tanks does not always allow you to see when the emptying process is completed.

Board footer