Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 21:57:22

twotails
Administrator

Void behind port saloon bulkhead

Here's one that many will hopefully be able to answer (Graham I know will!):-

I understand that there's a void behind the forward saloon bulkhead on the port side, effectively behind the heads washbasin.

This being so, how deep is it? I'd like to install a car stereo unit there, but need to know whether it will fit before getting the drill and jigsaw out.

Assuming that it's there, and out of interest, what was the original purpose, and is there a matching one on the stbd side above & behind the "bar"?

Thanks as always in anticipation for your help.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Arethusa
Email 
John Lansdell
Jun 24, 2010 - 9:01AM
Re: Void behind port saloon bulkhead

Yes, there are voids above both spaces. On Twotails I've installed an ex car radio, with cassete player in the "ceiling" on the port side, and speakers in both. That way neither radio nor speakers can be seen from within the saloon. One word of caution, not all car radio cassette players will operate vertically rather than horizontally!
Take down the "ceiling" (deckhead) and there is quite a bit of space alongside the doorway. Some 'dogs have a toilet cupaboard in the space on the port side. I do not know if these were original fit or not.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Graham
Jun 24, 2010 - 10:09AM

Hi Steve,
As John has said most SeaDogs have some space on both sides, as always there will be some variations, particularly if someone has installed a 'bathroom cabinet'.
On Dougal the port side is by far the largest, at least a 20cm cube and then reducing up to deck level. We used to have our computer in this space (we extended it into the saloon so that it was level with the bulkhead).
Our car radio/cd/dvd player is installed on the starboard side in the space between the cocktail cabinet and the shelf in the heads compartment, it is a little restricted but can be done, you may want to add a little ventilation for use in Greece.
At present we have the speakers in the 'roof' of the bookshelf and the cocktail cabinet, but we are currently re-thinking that as we plan to fit doors on both of these.
hope this helps
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Eric Richardson
Jul 15, 2010 - 9:02AM

Hi Steve

A very late comment which may not help. I seem to remember Peter French saying to me that he had cut out a space behind the mirror in the heads. He said he kept his Very Pistol there where it was well hidden but available if needed.

Board footer