Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 21:55:33

twotails
Administrator

VAT Status

We have no proof of VAT status on Stardog (1972 build) and are hoping to venture abroad next season Ken Underwood, the previous owner did not have anything. The owners prior to Ken were I believe the Chamberlains from Benfleet, does anyone know if they are still contactable at their Benfleet address? Failing that has anyone gone through the process or have any experience of being challenged? The info from the RYA and other sources is very vague and seems to leave a lot to chance if all the right boxes aren't ticked.

Regards Alan and Debbie

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Russell Stevens
Aug 22, 2008 - 1:19PM
Re: VAT status

Hi Alan

Thank you very much for the rigging plan and the lovely pictures of 'Stardog' on the East Coast. I agree that this is one of the best places for cruising, especially if you have shallow draft.

On the subject of VAT, I think this was introduced on Yachts in 1974 as they counted at the time as luxury goods. If so, 'Stardog' and in fact most other Seadogs should not be affected as the tax cannot be retrospective.

That's my theory anyway.

Best regards
Russell

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Spinner
Email 
graham
Aug 31, 2008 - 8:39PM

Hi,
When we purchased 'Dougal' in 1996 amongst the paperwork was a letter that said she was deemed 'VAT paid'. This seemed to have been issued on the basis that it had been proved she was EU based on a certain date in 1984 (I think that was the year, but the exact date was significant, I can check if you need me to)
As regards to documentation checks we have only ever had to show the oficial registration document in France, Dougal is Part 1 registered but I think the same would apply for SSR.
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Eric Richardson
Sep 5, 2008 - 9:35AM

Hi Alan and Debbie

First things, Thanks for the hospitality on Stardog,you are doing a great job with her.

On the VAT question, the full details are on the RYA web site. When the vat subject first raised it's head H M Customs and Excise set up a special dept. to provide exemption certificates as stated by Graham. Unfortunately this was a service that did not bring in revenue so they quickly closed it down. If approached now they state that if you can provide proof that she was moored in the UK over certain dates and date of original purchase or registration this gave VAT exemption. Again as Graham says. I believe the period refered to was over new year 1992/93. hope that is helpful but for accuracy see the RYA notes.

Board footer