Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 21:52:30

twotails
Administrator

Triatic Stay

Triatic stay on Glass Lady is made fast on mizzen with shackle & tensioned by rigging screw. To release the stay prior to lowering masts for overwintering ashore requires going aloft in a bosun's chair. Can anyone suggest a more convenient arrangement? For example would some form of downhaul made fast on the mizzen be a safe alternative?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glass Lady
Email 
Graham
Aug 31, 2009 - 9:02PM
Re: Triatic Stay

Hi Duncan,
Dougal has the same arrangement, and I believe that this was the original system on all SeaDogs. We have recently bought some mast steps which we will be fitting on the mizzen to make the job easier.
regards
Graham (Currently Ile d'Olleron, Saint Denis)

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Robert Peebles
Sep 2, 2009 - 1:11AM

Hi Duncan,

Jacarah has exactly what you envisage: tail of the stay is pre-stretched cordage taken through a block at the mizzen head and down to a cleat near the foot. When I eventually get the masts back up I'll let you know and you can pop over and have a look. I'm having complete standing rigging renewed by Mainbrace at Rosyth.

Kind regards,

Robert

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Jacarah
Email 
Eric Richardson
Sep 2, 2009 - 4:58PM

Hi Duncan

I modified the arrangement on Taliesin, It was a long time ago but what I remember is that I put a pulley on the mizzen mast on a short tail anchored to the same point that the rigging screw attaches. Shortened up the existing Triatic stay and attached a length of 6mm Kevlar to it so that I could cleat it off on a new cleat I fitted low down on the mizzen mast. By the use of a mouse line I could remove or replace the triatic without needing to go up the mast.

Eric
Duncan MacDonald
Sep 4, 2009 - 8:10PM

Thanks for all replies.

Passing the triatic through a turning block will alter the resultant direction of the stay but clearly has not been a problem. Will give it a go.

Rgds,

Duncan

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glass Lady

Board footer