Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 20:56:01

twotails
Administrator

Shaft bearing - worst case rudder removal?

I'm trying to plan for replacing the shaft bearing and would welcome any advice on how long it takes:

A. - a best case - easy prop removal and easy old bearing removal

B. - a worst case - prop won't come off so rudder has to be removed to get the shaft+prop out of the hull to attack the bearing and then the bearing won't wind out so it has to be hacked to pieces!

I'd just like an idea as to whether it takes a day or a week!

Any tips for getting the prop off the shaft without needing to drop the rudder would be appreciated too.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Saluki of Arne
Email 
Philip Ellis
Mar 12, 2010 - 9:23AM
Re: Shaft bearing - worst case rudder removal?

Hi Jonathon,
Regarding B.your worst case scenario.
Because of the half coupling at the inboard end of the shaft this shaft would normally be withdrawn back into the boat after prop removal.
Removal of the rudder is not for the faint hearted it involves removal of the lower shoe, disconnection of the steering quadrant and then having enough room to under the boat to withdraw the rudder and shaft the shaft is around 18in long, also this whole assembly is heavy and awkward.Then all to be reassembled, it would be a good opportunity to inspect the lower pintle and bearing though!
Easy prop removal does usually involve some fierce heat applied to the prop boss and a prop puller if available.
Regards
Philip

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada, ex Natuna
Email 
Alan and Debbie
Mar 12, 2010 - 1:32PM

I've just made a prop puller out of 12mm MS sheet and a few lengths of 15mm threaded rod. Easy job with a pillar drill and hack saw but you do need to be able to drill a 1.5" hole. I bought a hole cutter for £6 which did the job fine, albeit slowly. I've not pulled the prop yet but I have tried it for size so know that it fits. I would be happy to post templates or a drawing if it helps. Come to think of it I'll scan some drawings and put them on the web site. Give me a day or two, the day job gets in the way! Graham, what is the best way of doing this?

Alan

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Graham
Mar 12, 2010 - 7:45PM

Hi Alan,
If you go to the 'gallery' page on the website you should be able to self-register and upload the files from there. If you get stuck then you can allways email to me and I will upload. Include some descriptions if needed.
I made a 'temporary' puller to use last year, it did the job, but not very elegantly.
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal

Board footer