Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 20:54:45

twotails
Administrator

Disconnecting the Steering Rod for'ard end

To replace one of my batteries, I need to swing the steering rod inboard out of the way.

I've had a hunt through the Forum, but most posts on the steering rod seem to be for much more complicated jobs - replacement of ends, etc.

The rod end seems to be threaded and has a nut on it. Does it simply come apart if the nut is undone, or is it more complicated than that?

I'd like to know what I've to do before I park Jacarah on the club pontoon, so that I don't hog the use of it for longer than necessary!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Jacarah
Email 
Phil
May 30, 2014 - 9:02PM
Re: Disconnecting the Steering Rod for'ard end

Hi Robert

Sorry the joints don't just fall appart when you remove the nuts as the shaft that passes throught the joint is tapered. The taper is normally very tight.

However if you go to a motor parts supplier and buy a ball joint splitter (which is a wedge device that you insert between the two parts of the joint) this will do the job (I think that mine cost about £7 a few years ago.

Word or warning - be very careful that the splitter wedge does not damage the rubber boot.

Also - do not take the nut off completely just back it off a few turns until the taper is released.

I have on some cars been able to split the joint with a hammer and a punch but going on the age of a Seadog its very likely that you will need the proper tool.

Good luck

Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
Robert Peebles
May 30, 2014 - 9:42PM
Re: Disconnecting the Steering Rod for'ard end

Many thanks, Phil.

That explains it very clearly.

Regards,

Robert

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Jacarah