Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 20:49:14

twotails
Administrator

Stupid question about water tanks

My apologies for asking such a dumb question - but at least it will be easy to answer!

So - on our recent trip, we drained one of the water tanks (we normally only use the one, and keep topping it up); no problem I thought, I'll just switch over to the other one.

However, although I'm sure that I've come across a lever for switching between the two tanks at sometime in our three years of ownership, I couldn't for the life of me remember where, nor could a brief search reveal it's whereabouts. So, although we solved the problem by filling up again - it would be beneficial to know how to acheive the desired result should the situation occur again!

Thanks in anticipation.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Arethusa
Email 
Graham
Oct 30, 2007 - 11:25AM
Re: Stupid question about water tanks

Hi Steve,
Not a silly question at all!
On Dougal we have always used both tanks at once, it does of course mean that we tend to run out rather suddenly.
The change-over switch is at the back of the galley locker, under the sink at the bottom. Ours is siezed solid and I have never got around to freeing it off (or replacing it).
Dougal (number 66) has the later arangement for filling, on the starboard side deck, just forward of the cockpit. Earlier SeaDogs have the filler near the forward hatch and may switch differently.
regards.
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Steve Abbott
Oct 31, 2007 - 10:26AM
Re: Re: Stupid question about water tanks

Thanks Graham - knew you'd have an answer.

However - maybe not the answer for us?

Our boat is number 46, and has a pair of fillers - port & starboard - on the foredeck; the two tanks appear not to be linked, as we emptied the starboard one, whilst the port side remained full.

So, anyone else have a view?!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Arethusa
Email 
John Lansdel
Oct 31, 2007 - 11:25PM
Re: Re: Re: Stupid question about water tanks

Hi Steve
Twotails is No 21 and under the sink, just above hull, we had a "manifold", that is a piece of plumbing with a pipe coming in from each tank and for each a **** turning through 90 degrees to allow passage of water into it, or to stop it. The manifold also has a single outlet, attached to a pipe connected to the foot pump, and thus to the spout into the sink. You can thus select which tank from which you wish to draw water. One side effect of this system is that if you leave both cocks open the tanks will tend to balance when the boat is vertical, but when sailing, and heeling over, water will transfer from the high side to the low, increasing the heel. Again, if you leave both cocks open it is possible to fill both tanks from one deck filler, albeit slowly. Its real advantage is when you are running down the tradewinds, then you only open the **** to draw water from the weather tank, giving you a better sailing performance! (Maybe!) I have moved the manifold up to just under the sink in order to save my back from grovelling in the bilge.
good luck
John

Board footer