Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 20:44:42

twotails
Administrator

Propeller Nut

Does anyone know the size of the propeller nut, I need to get ours off next time down and want to have the right size socket.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Graham
Feb 16, 2010 - 1:35PM
Re: Propeller Nut

Hi Allan,
I happen to have the original nut from 'Dougal' here at home. It is not a conventional nut but is a cone shape with 2 flats.The 2 flats measure about 36mm between them.
Even if there is a conventional nut on Stardog you may find there is not enough room for a socket between the propeller and the rudder. An open ended may be more useful.
The nut itself may not be too tight, once the split pin is removed it should shift quite easily. That is where the fun starts however. Pulling the prop off the shaft usually requires a puller, I know a number of owners have them.
Then you will be lucky if the propeller has room to come off the end of the shaft. Most of us have to disconnect the intermediate shaft in the aft cabin then slide it past the other shaft to get the clearance.
bon courage!
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
E Richardson
Feb 16, 2010 - 6:25PM

Hi Alan

Sorry I am not sure, I think it was a 3/4" whit thread, if so the size across the flats would be 3/4 x 1.5 +0.125 = 1.25".
If it was 5/8" it would be 1.0625".
I have sent a seperate email re prop removal, but it is straight forward. As Graham says you need to take out the short shaft first.

Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
E Richardson
Feb 16, 2010 - 6:50PM

Hi Alan
Forgot to say that the original nut was a bronze castle nut. Some prop suppliers use a nut with just two flats as Graham stated.
The advantage of the castle nut is that it allows 3 seperate locations for the split pin. It is important that the nut is tight when pinned. If you cannot line a pin hole up do not back the nut off. Remove the nut and taking care file a small amount of its contact face taking care not to allow the file to rock. Then try it again untill the nut is tight and a split pin hole lines up ok.
If it's a castle nut a ring spanner is your best bet, if just two flats then it has to be an open jaw spanner.
Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Graham
Feb 16, 2010 - 6:55PM

Hi Eric,
Confirm what you say about the pin. When we fitted our new folding prop recently we had a lot of trouble getting the nut to tighten in a suitable place. In the end I took a file to it and with very few strokes made it a perfect fit.
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Alan and Debbie
Feb 16, 2010 - 7:35PM

Thanks both, take your point about the space for a socket too Graham. I have few big ring spanners and a hefty adjustable so I'll pack those. I've got a little low speed linisher so I'll put that in in case I need to adjust the nut.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
John Lansdell
Feb 17, 2010 - 5:41PM

If you have access to mains electricity I'd take a hot air paint stripper, a sheet of metal to act as a shield and a glove to hold it with. That way you can heat the prop, while shielding the shaft from the heat. That may well make it easier to get off.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails

Board footer