Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 20:34:36

twotails
Administrator

Prop Shaft Flexible coupling replacement

Please note, it does now appear that the Silentbloc couplings generally fitted as standard into the prop-shaft of the Seadog having the Borg Warner gearbox with a two bolt output flange is now to become obsolete.

The reference No for this coupling was FC9218 and is installed with 7/16 unf bolts and lock nuts.
However after extensive discussions with R&D Marine Ltd. Manufacturers of Flexible drive plates, Engine Mounts and Damper plates. Have identified a coupling from their existing range and confirmed that this is a Direct replacement for the old Silentbloc FC9218.

The R&D Marine part No. 910-060

It is sized for 7/16th unf bolts and I am assured it meets the specifications in terms of shaft HP for the Perkins4108/Borgwarner velvet drive with 2.1:1 reduction.

These are available From T.Norris in London who are holding stock and are aware of the requirement or Lancing marine or R&D Marine direct.

R&D Marine, T. Norris and Lancing Marine have been most helpful with this exercise, without this direct replacement now being available the alternative would have entailed a lengthy and expensive engineering project.

Phil Somerville of Tresco Maid has collected a new coupling from T.Norris and has kindly taken some Digipics of this new coupling prior to fitting. These will be uploaded to the Gallery (under Technical) for all to see.

An added advantage of the this R&D coupling is the ability to fit and accessory to the centre of the coupling which will electrically join both sides, two would be required to complete the circuit and allow the propellor to be electrically bonded to the engine and hopefully the external anode.

T.Norris Limited
6 Wood Lane
Isleworth
Middlesex TW7 5ER.
United Kingdom.Tel: 020 8560 3453

Lancing Marine, 51 Victoria Road, Portslade, Sussex BN41 1XY, United Kingdom
Telephone +44 (01273) 410025

R&D Marine Ltd
Meadow Works, Clothall Road
Baldock
Herts, England.
SG7 6PD
Telephone: +44 (0)1462 892391

If you require more information regarding the couplings please email me. Eric Richardson is also now aware of these replacements and I am sure will be available to advise via email on any aspect of the drive train and the application of this an other relevant R&D products.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada, ex Natuna
Email 
John Lansdell
Feb 28, 2010 - 10:47AM
Re: Prop Shaft Flexible coupling replacement.

That is wonderful news! A big thank you to all involved in solving this problem. We must all appreciate the amount of time you must have spent on it.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
john king
Dec 18, 2011 - 10:40AM

I got the new coupling but the lack of clearance for the shaft flange retaining nut made me disgard this replacement reaming the centre out to accomadate the nut does not seem to me to be acceptable .It must weaken the part and stops the fitting of the safety strap I am going to replace the original and somewhat perished original whilst searching for a firm who could replace the rubber bushes. john king
Sea Fleur

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Sea Fleur
Email 
Graham
Dec 18, 2011 - 11:08AM

Hi,
Disappointed that you have found the alternative part unsuitable, but I am still not sure what the problem is. Do you have any photographs or drawings that illustrate this? I find pictures easier to understand.
Unfortunately the photographs that Phil loaded into the gallery seem to have a problem in that the full size images no longer show in my browser.
We were all hoping that this part would be an easy swap for our ageing couplings.
A pdf for the product range can be downloaded at http://www.randdmarine.com/downloads/RandD_Shaft.pdf
By the way will you be at the meeting in January?
regards
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
john king
Dec 18, 2011 - 1:08PM

the first shsft closest to the gear box has a coupling flange which is secured by first a key and then a v large nut on the end of the shaft this nut protrudes into the coupling the new coupling has only a small hole in its centre and the nut cannot enter this in its present size to allow the flange face to fit 7up to the faces of the couplings bolt collars.john king sea fleur

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) sea fleur
Eric Richardson
Dec 19, 2011 - 2:23PM

Hi to all.

I am now struggling to find some of my old bits and pieces to match up, but I am sure Phillip is correct in quoting the R & D coupling 910-060 because I recollect fitting one of these some years ago. I do know that when making up a new shaft unit you have to make sure you fit a slim nut to avoid the problem mentioned.

Eric
john king
Dec 22, 2011 - 8:55PM

dear Eric would it be possible to cut down the existing nut that is causing the problem ,both my shafts are in pristine condition and I would like to avoid replacing them .the coupling replacement quoted is fine apart from this .john

Email 
Eric Richardson
Dec 23, 2011 - 10:11AM

Hi John

Without seeing its a bit difficult to say, but it is likely that it can be done. Are you coming to the Elstead? If you are and can bring the shaft and coupling I can tell you and possibly bring it home with me and do the mods for you. It could then be sent back to you by currier. Can you send me some photo's both end and side elevations
Eric
john king
Dec 23, 2011 - 10:33AM

Dear Eric ,I will bring the shafts and couplings with me have a good Christmas regards john.

Email 
Graham
Dec 23, 2011 - 11:01AM

I would also like to see these bits, only a matter of time before I need to do the same.
See you both there, have a great Christmas in the meantime.
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal

Board footer