Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 21:04:45

twotails
Administrator

Perkins 4.108

Ronnie Walker
Jan 5, 2011 - 11:44PM
perkins 4.108

Hi,if anyone knows of a good perkins 108 or 107 or even a marinised ford,for sale ,please let me know,i have been to see so many bummers,it's getting beyond a joke.Thanks.Ronnie.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kushka
Email 
John Lansdell
Jan 6, 2011 - 8:56PM
Re: perkins 4.108

It may be worthwhile your considering the marinisation of a Perkins 4-108 originally installed in a VW van, using the necessary parts from your existing engine. I believe a number of people have previously done this. That way you are more likely to get an engine in a better mechanical, and cosmetic, condition. If I were considering this I would expect to have to use a more modern heat exchanger. There is no need to cool the BW gearbox oil if the boat is used in the UK, but this is required for the Med.
Excuse me if I'm talking to my grandmother.....................!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Eric Richardson
Jan 7, 2011 - 9:42AM

Hi Ronnie
As John says the best bet is an EX commercial vehicle engine, there are still just a few around in auto scrap yards, they were also fitted in some tractors and I have seen them advertised in vintage tractor mags. All the marinisation parts from the 4.107 fit ok
There are a few mods which can be done to improve them, Stay away from marine dealers/engineers though unless you are feeling rich. If you do go for this option use the 4.107 oil pump and sump that is important.
Let me know if I can be of help

Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Ronnie Walker
Jan 9, 2011 - 5:11AM

Hi,all thanks for your sound advice,the engine no longer exists the crank shaft broke,and it being raw water cooled,not many marinisation parts were left,Eric was right about the closed circuit cooling,i will contact keith about his friends 107,you are all very caring people,best assoc.around.Thanks,Ronnie.

Email 
Eric Richardson
Jan 31, 2011 - 8:54AM

Hi Ronnie

This is a bit late, but are you aware that there is a special engine deal available through the Seadog Owners Association. If you decide to buy a new Beta Marine engine. Your Borg Warner box can be fitted to this engine with a price saving.

Eric
John Lansdell
Jan 31, 2011 - 10:35AM

Re Eris's comment about fitting a Beta engine.
I did exactly that, did the whole installation myself, and have been very pleased with the results. If you want to come along, see it and have a chat, give me a ring.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Ronnie Walker
Feb 2, 2011 - 10:40PM

Hi John,very kind of you and eric to offer your help and advice,i'm afraid a new beta is a bit out of my league,i have bought keith's friends 107,it arrived on the 1st.will put it onto my jeeps(chelsea tractor)trailor,and take it to my workshop and give it a run and freshen up with some paint and fit an anti-siphon valve just before the water injection point something the guy who sold me the boat and i were ignorant of,as you may know this is the first boat iv'owned with an inboard engine all ob's before,iv' been reading some books on marine diesels(nigel calder knows his stuff)and most of them stress the importance of an anti-siphon valve in the exhaust line,some say hundreds of marine engines are destroyed yearly through not fitting one.Kind Regards.Ronnie.

Email 
Eric Richardson
Feb 4, 2011 - 10:36AM

Hi Ronnie

Glad to hear you have an engine, if you go to the Vetus website there is a good diagram showing the water circuit along with the anti syphon valve set up.
You may find it beneficial to do away with the Parsons box and fit a Vetus wet exhaust putting the swan neck where the Parsons box is, its a much simpler system.
Please don't forget what I said earlier about the sump. It is important to fit the marine version sump which is alluminium because it is deeper and allows for the boats rolling and pitching motion to prevent oil starvation. You also need to fit the marine oil pump which goes to the bottom of the sump. The sump and pump are fully interchangable on all engines.
Last but not least the deep sump has two tapped holes to accept the bolts at the bottom of the back plate /bellhousing. These are important because the engine weight is carried by the front mountings, and the back mountings which are on the gearbox. Without these two bolts the bell housing gaps at the bottom putting the engine/gearbox out off alignement.
Don't hesitate to give me a ring if I can help.

Board footer