Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 21:03:06

twotails
Administrator

Panel Behind the Steps - Removal

David
Aug 7, 2010 - 8:19PM
Panel behind the saloon steps - removal???

I should have taken a photo, but anyway..........

On Wayluya Seadog (1970) the steps into the saloon are easily removable. and the top step unscrewed easily enough.

Behind is a panel that has half a dozen screws (with cap? washers) down each side that look exactly like it is designed to be easily removed (to access the dropdown hatch).............except when I remove all the screws it does not move. not even a fraction.

My thinking is that a PO probably glued the panel on - but before I apply some TLC with a hammer etc would be nice to know their is no secret trick involved that I have overlooked - or everyones is also glued on (in which case I have no idea why the screws were not hidden behind the Formica face??)

Why do I want to remove it? I want to clean inside and maybe splash a bit of paint. and also it's now annoying me! it just looks like it is meant to be removable!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Wayluya
Phil
Aug 14, 2010 - 9:29AM
Re: Panel behind the saloon steps - removal???

Hello David

I found the same problem with Soyakaze. I did not have the courage to force the panel as it was not a priority job.

Please let us know what happens.

Regards - Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
David
Aug 15, 2010 - 1:38AM
Re: Panel behind the saloon steps - removal???

I removed the panel! A bit of brute force involved - but nothing uncontrollable.

Will upload some photos in due course.

In addition to the easily removed screws the panel was glued on and also fixed with small panel pins along the top and side edges.

At the top of the panel I removed the lower inner door piece / jam as this was tacked onto the panel with a row of panel pins (a screw at each end - easy enuf once I had dug out and cleared the screw heads. I also drilled alongside the panel pins - they will get replaced with screws so am not worried about the additional holes - but as also glued needed some persuasion with a hammer on a wooden block and a bit of careful screwdriver leverage - I could see how that could have gone badly wrong).

The left and right of the panel were also glued on to the frame. The varnished edging strips (left and right) were tacked on to the frame with panel pins as well as glued to the panel - a number of these pins had gone through the panel edge (but I only discovered this after I had prised the panel off with a screwdriver!). The prising off was the delicate part! Once I got started was using mainly the panel itself as leverage and the bit of flex in it to gently (???!) break the glue bond.

Fortunately was only glue (not epoxy) - so whilst not a perfect result nothing that a bit of sandpaper can't deal with...........but not sure how much of that was luck or judgement. I would do the job again on my boat - but I wouldn't on someone elses!

BTW I had also removed the foot locker (starboard side - below / front navigation table).......off the top of my head can't remember if that would restrict panel removal.

Inside was very little apart from a couple of lost screws and a lot of dirt!

I have temporaily re-screwed the panel back on (for ease of onboard storage!) whilst I think how to refix it so it can always be removable in future..........I may want to put an engine access hatch in their in the future or simply be able to clean again. I don't really need access for the dropdown washboards getting stuck as learnt that a lot of fiddling around does the trick - albeit eventually I got around to buying some new shockcord!

Another job that needs "finishing off"

Board footer