Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:59:45

twotails
Administrator

Our First Trip

John Stopford
Mar 16, 2009 - 7:38PM
Our First Trip

Hound Dog – The Deadliest catch

This is what I have posted on the Sailing Club site but I thought some you will enjoy the tale.

Hound Dog decided to sail to Piel Island, as I could not wait any longer to see her in pride on the water. Here is the story and please enjoy.

Friday
We arrived slightly later than planned and rushed to make Hound Dog ready for launch. Lots of helpers available all asking me loads of questions, what times this? What are doing about this? How? Where? When? Who would have thought Skippering was easy?? Anyway tractor drivers at the ready and lots of help made the launch easy, Even though poor Dave had three jobs to do at once, much to his frustration. He soon smiled when he was able to shout at the tractor driver. We were on the water. Mick & Lynn joined us on Hound Dog whilst we went round to the dock. Mick kindly contacted Dave the Dock Gate master and arranged a berth. We played in the Lune for a short spell and I felt like a speed boat, well a bit slower but it showed the power of the Perkins and inspired confidence. We entered the dock and proceeded to moor up. I here the words of advise slow, go slow, so I did and it was a doddle. I notice Debbie getting involved with a boat hook in hand, but I am sure they are for grabbing the other boat not prodding me??
We were moored in the dock and I thanked all those I could find for their time, energy and assistance in the launch, and if I did not catch you I say “THANKS” again. It is the GSC at its best and it is why we know we have made one of those life altering decisions in joining you. We made Hound Dog ship shape with me explaining to Debbie that Saturday is going to be rough so we need to batten the hatches as they say. I also fitted a jackstay, this was very wise.
All done we had tea and went to the Club House for Drinks and to meet up with Tall Matt, who was still thinking about launching Little Hog, I soon talked him out of that and he joined us. I now had my Crew Me, Debbie, James & Tall Matt.

Saturday
Saturday was glorious in the Dock; we had bacon banjo’s and a cup of tea in the cockpit, with onlookers. Note we put our GSC and Seadog Association Burgees up. We then went round to the clubhouse and the wind was howling. Tall Matt had Bacon & Sausage, a wise choice as you will see if you read on.
Dave (Dock Gate Master) came round and asked if we were still going to which it was resounding yes. Off we went at 12.30hrs. Out of the dock with ease and turned down the Lune with (Mad) Mick, we hope doesn’t mind his nickname from Young James, taking photo’s at ramming speed?? The wind was very strong so we put up the mizzen only and motored on. As we passed Sunderland we put out some Genoa but as we approach Plover the boat heeled violently and the sails were dropped; also the waves were huge. As we headed out further up the channel it was decision time turn back or have that character building session. Well me being me it was Just Do It!!! We got a true pounding on the way to Lune One. Me and James were loving it, Matt was going quiet and Debbie, well head down it is not happening to me. I decided after the pounding we have had received over the shallows to head for deeper water and hopefully have more swell waves. This worked well until Halfway Shoal was spotted. By this time the quiet Matt had fed the seagulls with his Sausage and Bacon sandwich. James commented this is just like deadliest catch, with us rounding up to face the bigger waves. The spray hood was exceptional and it will remain. Waves averaged between 12ft and 18ft with white crests occasionally. We got caught out once and even my heart fluttered as we got sideways swiped. Hound Dog violent leached side ways then the keels bit and threw us back, clatter went pans and plates, and a shrill from Debbie. Woop Woop went me and James this is brilliant.
We entered the quieter waters of Piel and launched the tender to go ashore. Arrived back at Hound Dog and enjoyed Lasagne, salad and cream cakes. Watched a DVD, I see the horror on some of your faces now but it was dark. A few drinks with a night cap and bedtime.

Sunday

What a contrast, the sky was clear and the wildlife again excelled all TV programmes, seals, birds all round. We headed out of Piel at 08.00hrs and we had a light force 3, all the sails went up. What a sight?? We headed up to the wind farm and headed for the Fleetwood light house. As we headed down wind we sailed on the genoa and Mizzen at around three knots in light winds, and tide. I was able to sunbathe. Debbie said this was one of the best experiences of her life and we all agreed. “From one extreme, to another”. We arrived at Lune One perfectly timed and headed up the Lune Channel still under sail. It was magical. We had to put the motor on to make some lost time and arrived at GSC to the trailer being lowered down the slipway. Once again, many volunteers with onlookers; no pressure then. The recovery went seamlessly in the scheme of things and once again thanks all round, loving GSC.
An awe inspiring trip with lots of learning points but most of all Hound Dog was outstanding and I felt secure in the vessel, a good buy and hopefully will see us, with the GSC, sailing for years to come. Behind the scenes is the Seadog Association with their invaluable forum.

A big thanks to you all as you have all contributed to a great trip. Where next?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Hound Dog

Board footer