Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:44:53

twotails
Administrator

Move Fuel Filter

Alan and Debbie
Aug 22, 2007 - 7:12PM
Fuel filter

Started thinking about winter maintenance already and am thinking of re-positioning the primary fuel filter / water trap from the front starboard bulkhead to the port side. Alongside the port fuel tank for better accessibility. I can maintain the same height in relation to the tanks and lift pump but wondered if the extra pipe length to the lift pump might cause a problem. Has anyone done anything similar??

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Steve Abbott
Aug 24, 2007 - 9:30AM
Re: Fuel filter

Dear Alan & Debbie

I've not done this, so can't offer any direct advice.
However, ours is currently located on the starboard side, screwed to the battery box that's directly under the fuel tank. It's height is lower than the bottom of the fuel tank, but slightly higher than the top of the engine. We have a problem whereby our engine can cut out when run above a certain rev range (actually 1200rpm seems to be the safe maximum engine speed, and you can imagine how awkward that is!) - a problem that we initially considered to be due to temperature, but have subsequently been offered the suggestion that the fuel filter is too high, and that the lift pump can't consequently "suck" the fuel through quickly enough.

So the reason for this response is to firstly suggest that you might want to be careful about the height if you decide to re-position, and secondly to ask if you or any of our other colleagues out there has an opinion on this height issue.

Otherwise, good luck!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Arethusa
Email 
Rudi Kramer
Sep 8, 2007 - 2:38PM

Hi Alan and Debbie,

I did a similar job on my boat and until now there was never a problem.
I renewed all the fuel lines and installed an second filter with water trap before the one witch is mounted on the engine.
Due to the fact that the new filter is mounted above the lowest tank level I installed an extra pump to get the air out in case of renewal.

This is how I did it :

http://members.chello.nl/~r.kramer5/Hea … 02837.html

http://members.chello.nl/~r.kramer5/Hea … 02836.html

You have to copy the links to your browser to see the pictures.

For all the pictures , see my website :

http://members.chello.nl/~r.kramer5/index.html

If you have some more questions regarding this subject, please let me know, perhaps I can make some more pictures or a drawing and send them to you directly ( via E-mail)

Kind regards , Rudi

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) ANANTA
Eric Richardson
Sep 14, 2007 - 10:31AM

Hi There
I found the same problem on Taliesin and concluded that in a seaway I would never be able to drain the water off so had to do something about it.
I realised that a simple solution would be to remove the drain plug from the filter and run a copper pipe from the bottom of the filter through the bulkhead under the sink in the galley and fit a drain valve at that point.
All I had to do then to either drain or check the system was to hold a 1 pint milk bottle under the outlet, open the valve and drain off any water or sediment.
It worked like a dream.

Regards Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Email 
Alan and Debbie
May 7, 2008 - 9:44PM

Finaly got round to it! moved the primary agrometer/water trap thingy to the starboard side where I can get at it. Fitted a filter using the longer bolt instead of the agrometer thing and it all works fine. The new position is about 2" above the original but as long as I don't run on empty this shouldn't be a problem. I've kept the original parts in a "back to normal repair kit" just in case. Update end of season.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Alan and Debbie
May 7, 2008 - 9:52PM

Correction should have said port side for the new position. For me there is plenty of space there as I still have the front mounted (recently re- built, but that's another story) heat exchanger.

Board footer