Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:40:03

twotails
Administrator

Measurement of Mizzen Mast Fittings

Steve Abbott
Nov 9, 2009 - 10:59AM
Measurement of Mizzen fittings

Hi

I'll be making a brief visit in the Southampton & Portsmouth area sometime in the next two or three weeks (date to be decided), and need to visit a Seadog in order to measure the bracing strut on the forward face of the mizzen mast, together with it's supporting wires; mine broke and I stupidly threw it away, but I need to make up a new one before returning to the boat in Greece (which is why I can't measure my own).

I'll be making a collection somewhere in the Southampton area before spending the night in Gosport and then making a delivery in Hove before returning to Yorkshire.

I know that there's a 'dog laid up on the hard at Port Solent, and wonder if I can contact the owner for permission to climb aboard and measure, or whether any other owner with a boat in the area can help.

Thanks as always for your help,
Steve

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Arethusa
Email 
Graham
Nov 9, 2009 - 11:10AM
Re: Measurement of Mizzen fittings

I think the SeaDog at POrt Solent might be Mer Caleb. Worth giving them a call to ask? Dougal is in RocheFort for the winter.
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Steve Abbott
Nov 9, 2009 - 11:14AM

Graham - you're so quick!!

Don't have a name or 'phone number for the owner however - can anyone help out? Email me for privacy if you like.

Email 
John Lansdell
Nov 10, 2009 - 8:50AM

Mer Caleb has been moved in the last 10 days. I will call the owner this evening, but unless you have ladders to suit with you, how will you measure the strut? You could measure Twotails, but she is afloat.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
Keith
Nov 10, 2009 - 9:08AM

My mizzen is down at the moment so I could easily measure the strut and wire length for you, unless you want a trip to Fosdyke where you could measure them yourself. However I believe the mizzen masts on Seadogs are not all the same length, so you might find the wire length is wrong for your boat if you measure from a different one.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Sea Lark
Email 
Steve Abbott
Nov 10, 2009 - 10:13AM

Keith - yes please!

I need the diameter and total length of the pole (including the bit seated in the fitting), together with the diameter of the wire, and it's lengths both above and below the strut.

Whilst appreciating that there might be variations, I've got some bottle screws which will help with small discrepancies.

Appreciate your help,
Steve

Board footer