Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:38:11

twotails
Administrator

Mast Rivets

Morgan wheeler
Sep 8, 2011 - 1:42AM
New owner! Main mast innards question

Hello all, I am quite newly the owner of a seadog 30! It's home port is Provincetown, Massachusetts, USA. It has been somewhat neglected and had some subpar work done, but I hope to fix that. I plan to be a frequent visitor here and would be interested in potentially joining the club, but right now I am wondering if anyone knows what the inside of the mainmast looks like. I am trying to knock some broken rivets through to replace them, and they seem to be hitting something solid inside the mast before they can even clear the holes. The rivets are about 4 feet up from the base, just stbd. of center on the forward face of the mast. They attach the spinnaker pole track (right name?) to the mast.
Thanks for a great resource!
- morgan

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Cuckoo's nest, awaiting renaming; Eulalia?
Email 
Eric Richardson
Sep 8, 2011 - 8:56AM
Re: New owner! Main mast innards question

Hi Morgan

Glad to hear you have a Seadog, I owned Taliesin for 18 years and think Seadogs are great, I now have its big sister the Nab35.
Its a good number of years since I looked up the inside of a Seadog mast, and I think there may be a few versions. Mine had a conduit down the inside of the mast to carry the cable for the Nav lights. It may be that the rivets in question are hitting that.
I am fairly sure the conduit ran down the forward face of the mast so that the steaming light cable could enter easily.
Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Eric
John Lansdell
Sep 8, 2011 - 5:39PM

Hi Morgan!
First a question. What is the hull number of your 'dog? There should be a metal plate in front of the wheel, about 3" x 1.75" with SD/ followed by the hull number.

The relevance of this is that the early 'dogs had masts made from two extrusions and jointed with four tracks of rivets, 6 fore and aft, 5 port and stbd, above and below the joint, which in our case is 64" above the baseplate of the tabernacle. It may well be that the rivets are impinging on the internal plate to which the joint rivets are attached. I am not sure how many had one piece extrusions, but would imagine those built after 1971 would be most likely.

According to my records the following are somewhere in the USA -

54 Grace O'Malley III 1969
68 Saint 1969
113 Djaril 1972
136 Whimsy of Weston 1974

The names above are the last we knew of for them. There may of course be other 'dogs which have "emigrated".

PS Welcome to being owned by a 'dog!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Morgan wheeler
Sep 8, 2011 - 10:33PM

Sounds like it's 113. I was told the previous name was hard to pronounce (djaril fits the bill) thanks for the info!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Cuckoo's nest, awaiting renaming; Eulalia?
Email 
John Lansdell
Sep 10, 2011 - 8:57AM

Apologies! Finger trouble. Djaril was 115, not 113. The last owners name we had was George Milliken, with an address in Eastham, Mass.

Board footer