Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:37:24

twotails
Administrator

Mast Rake

John Ingleby
May 20, 2013 - 11:08PM
Mast rake

I think that Anahita has a mast rake of something around the five degree mark. I know the sails are not originally hers with the mainsail number being wrong.

When the genoa is fully extended the sheet is vertical to the track and therefore unable to flatten the sail after a certain point.

It seems to me the sails and furling gear that came with the boat when I bought her were from a boat with a bowsprit or some different design.

Any thoughts?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Anahita II
Email 
Phil
May 21, 2013 - 11:43PM
Re: Mast rake

Hello John

We had the same problem with the Genoa sheet angle with the large "reaching" genny.

However after some experiments I realized that if you take the sheet from the turning block (mounted near the front of the rear cabin near each gunnel) to the genny clew the angle is close to the ideal 90 deg to the forestay.

The problem with the large genny is that it is slow to tack. For when we are sailing on the Solent and therfore tacking frequently I had a new genny made where the foot is a lot shorter (just reaching the cap shrouds and the clew is high cut to enable us to see underneath.

On the subject of rake, you would need to move it a lot have any significant effect on the genny sheet angle, it would (if the genny luff is not the whole length of the forestay) be more effecctive to change the height above the drum of the genny tack by using wire or rope strops)

Good luck - Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
John Ingleby
May 23, 2013 - 6:18PM

Thanks for the reply, Phil.

I'll be down on the boat tomorrow and look for the point you are talking about. I was thinking of fitting extra cars futher aft but I'll try that first. Up to now have been sailing with it partially furled all the time to get the angle.

As for the rake I suspect the forestay is not original and is simply too long.

One other problem I have is a cracked beam under the foremast, hidden with a bit of ply. Could replace it with some hassle but thinking instead of making a couple of stainless plates to bolt either side of the beam after removing the mast and jacking until the crack closes. Has anyone else experienced this.

Thanks again for your help

Regards

John

Email 
Eric Richardson
May 24, 2013 - 6:56PM

Hi John
I am a bit puzzled about the cracked mast support beam, email me a picture of this if you can. Is it the beam which transverses the hull? Problems with mast support were present on the mark 2 due to the mast being located too far aft so an extra mast support post was often fitted just aft of the original mast piller. I will post you a couple of pictures of the post fitted too Taliesin in case your mast has been moved aft by a previous owner. John please send me your email address as I am unable to open it from the forum.

Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Email 
John Ingleby
May 25, 2013 - 10:51PM

Mail sent. Picture to follow.

Board footer