Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:32:48

twotails
Administrator

Main Halyard

martin waterman
Dec 6, 2009 - 5:31PM
main halyard

hullo. I propose to run my main halyard, kicking strap and topping lift back to the cockpit. Would prefer to have a roller main like Martin Waite's but 'heh hoh'!. Don't have main compass on plinth between windscreen and wheel (was never fitted) so plan to fit come thru. under windscreen in that area and fit winch and jammer(s) somewhere there. These items are very pricey so been dabbling on ebay for such hardware but it seems to be infested with dealers or suchlike or else I am not steet wise about using it. There's nothing like being able to handle the thing before you buy it!. Only have one fairly deep reef in the main and tend to reef before leaving if much wind is forecast. If it blows up, douse the main and carry on with miz. genny and/or Dorothy (perkins). Any one any ideas please. Hope I am not using too much space on the website. seem to have had a spurt of using it. Thnaks again Graham.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kittijay
E Richardson
Dec 7, 2009 - 1:03PM
Re: main halyard

Hi Martin
Me again, When I fitted inmast reefing to Taliesin I had need to bring lines back into the cockpit. I fitted the neccesary guide rollers on the cabin top, then drilled through under the windscreen and glassed short lengths of Stainless Steel Tube into the holes having slightly flared the ends. I the fitted a set of jammers in line with the tubes to control tension in the lines.
I then fitted a Lewmar 16 Self Tailing Winch on to the Aft cabin top all in line with the jammers. This meant that if I could not get enough tension by hand I could use the winch then lock of with the jammer, unhook from the winch and coil into a bag in the cockpit. The winch also helped when the rotostay was under load.
Go for it it's worth while.
It worked like a dream.

Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Graham
Dec 7, 2009 - 1:35PM

Hi Martin,
The more the site is used the happier I am, it makes the work feel more worthwhile, I used to think I was the only one who ever looked at it!
On the 'lines back to the cockpit' subject we have done just this for 'Dougal' when we replaced the mast with one with in-mast reefing.
Our lines go into the 'letterbox' and are then led through a custom stainless fitting with flared tube ends to a point under the windscreen. I then have a set of cluthches (4) and just behind that I have a lewmar 16ST winch.
The 'dashboard' had to be strengthened by bolting 2 layers of marine ply underneath (access through the air intake behind the steering binnacle).
I will try and dig out some pictures if I can find them, I may even have some of Taliesin too.
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Graham
Dec 7, 2009 - 1:55PM

I have loaded some pictures of the relevant bits of Taliesin into the 'pilot' gallery page (temporarily on http://www.seadog.org.uk/coppermine/)

Can be found in the 'external' album.
Will try and find some pictures of 'Dougal' later.
Graham

Email 
martin
Dec 7, 2009 - 5:26PM

Thanks Graham and Eric. I have plenty to mull over now with your suggestions. Hope to get to Elstead, phoned Olive last night and fingers crossed that Gillian is up to the trip. See you there.
Martin. If this rain doesn't ease up we can sail down out of the boat park!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kittijay
Graham
Dec 7, 2009 - 5:52PM

Hi,
I don't seem to have any pictures of the installation on Dougal. I have posted a few pictures that I took when preparing.
The winch is standing roughly where it ended up, I moved it slightly to port but still made a short winch handle to avoid the windscreen support.
We put a row of turning blocks near the hatchway so that the ropes would then have a straight run to the air intake, unfortunately we got it too close to the mast which means that the ropes graze the top of the blocks and do not run smoothly. I intend to raise the turning blocks up to compensate.
best wishes to you both, hope you make the Elstead.
Graham

Email 
Michael Grew
Dec 9, 2009 - 4:24PM

Forgive me if I am repeating something that members already know but I have found that a very good source of secondhand chandlery is found on the Barge Chandlers at Swanwick, Hants. I have just bought a small winch from them and found them to be extremely helpful and their prices reasonable. They can be found on the opposite side of the road to Deacons Boatyard and Moodys Yard on the Hamble. The barge is moored the Southampton side of the railway bridge.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Seascape
Email 
martin
Dec 10, 2009 - 9:29PM

Hullo Michael, thanks for the suggestion. I visited the barge for the first time last summer, its a real aladdin's cave isn't it. I'm still sifting through winch purchasing possibilities. Could buy a new one but years of making do and mending are hard to shake off. (I hope it's not because I'm mean!!).

Board footer