Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:31:13

twotails
Administrator

Lowering Masts

Mark Hildich
Aug 15, 2008 - 1:03PM
Pulling the masts

Hi,

Due to the foul weather recently and running out of time, I'm arranging transport of my SeaDog by road. Is there any advice people can offer, on dropping the masts? i.e. like what sequence they should be done in? I'm assuming mizzen followed by main etc.

Rgds Mark
Email 
Alan and Debbie McKilnerhone
Aug 15, 2008 - 4:09PM
Re: Pulling the masts

Mark

There is a detailed account in one of the old journals. I'll look it out and scan / mail you a copy. Is your e-mail address in the owners list (I am in the office at the moment - well -- it is Friday!!)

Regards

Alan

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Alan and Debbie McKilnerhone
Aug 15, 2008 - 4:14PM

Mark

just remenmbered how to get your e-mail address off the post!! I'll try to get it to you tomorrow. Where are you going from / to by the way?

Regards

Alan

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Mark Hildich
Aug 15, 2008 - 4:32PM
Re: Re: Pulling the masts

Hi,

Getting her transported from Poole to Portishead, tomorrow. Had intended to sail her round but the weather this last week made it difficult, plus outlook not much better, so have decided best to go overland.

Rgds Mark
Email 
Eric Richardson
Sep 7, 2008 - 2:51PM

Hi Mark

I guess this is to late, but somehow had missed your note.
I used to trailer sail Taliesin, so had to remove the masts each year. Because I was doing it regularly I cheated a bit but will describe it any way. I always lowered the masts after getting the boat on to her trailer.
First remove the mizzen mast, this is easily done by removing the triatic stay, then attachinig the mizzen halyard down haul to the main halyard. Tension lightly and release the mizzen lower shrouds, this allows the mizzen to lean back towards the main mast and the mizzen cap shrouds can be released and by tensioning the main halyard the mizzen mast lifted and swung over the side. I actually used to swing the mizzen mast into a tabernacle on the back of my vehicle and then use this as a high point to lower the main mast down along the boat until it was low enough to lift by hand.
Note the main mast is heavy and needs two fit blokes to carry it.
To lower the main really needs an A frame, but I have done it with a good strong piece of timber about 4" x 3" with a vee cut to fit the mast and well lashed in position using the spinnaker halyard as a forestay to the timber and a good strong line from the anchor winch and under the bow roller to the timber fastened at the same point as the halyard. care needs to be taken to ensure the mast does not move sideways. I did this by taking a line attached about 4ft up each cap shroud and round the forward deck cleats with someone on each line maintaining equal tension as the mast lowers backwards.
Hope that is of help if you need to do it in the future.
ps I have done it easily in a marina with help from a boat well astern and moored in line with me using their main halyard to pull up the main mast, again keeping the cap shrouds under tension to prevent the mast swinging sideways.
Note it does put a high load on the tabernacle so I allways fastened lines from the stern cleats to the cleats on the tabernacle and tensioned these up before starting to lift or lower.

Eric Richardson

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Email 
Eric Richardson
Sep 11, 2008 - 3:18PM

I noticed an error in my write up re using another boat. I stated a boat moored astern of me, it was untill I turned my boat round. You have to hoist from forward. The higher the hoisting point the easier the job as it gives a more direct lift.
I have seen it done alongside a square rigged tall ship. That really is a piece of cake.
Sorry about the mistake.
Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Email 
Mark Hildich
Sep 12, 2008 - 10:13PM

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Sulis has been successfully transported and is now in Bristol, but I will be working on the masts and rigging so the info is much appretiated.

Board footer