Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:27:21

twotails
Administrator

Lift Pump Failure

Jack Marrie
Jul 8, 2013 - 5:51AM
lift pump failure?

I recently acquired Rime, a Deep Seadog, #115, and am harbored in Portland Harbor, ME, USA.
I'm thrilled to be living aboard, and Rime is a delight to sail.

However, I was under engine power recently (Westebeke Four-107) when the engine sputtered, came back to life, then failed completely. Enigine temp and pressure still reading well, and it turns over strong. The fuel was quite low and so I suspected perhaps I had gone close to empty and perhaps taken air into the fuel lines. With this in mind I started into bleeding the lines, beginning at the secondary filter bleed nipple, and working the manual lift pump. However, even after many dozens of "pumps", I was not pulling any fuel through the pump, and indeed the inside of the filter appeared to be hardly wet when I removed the bleed nipple entirely.
I now suspect a failed diaphram in the manual lift pump and have ordered a lift pump kit.

Now I'm unsure of how to proceed. I can't access the fifth screw head, located directly beneath the rigid fuel line from the secondary filter to the lift pump. I thought to remove that rigid line, but it doesn't seem to want to part from the lift pump--- should I persist?
Or taking another method: is it wise to remove the lift pump entirely from the body of the engine and re-build seperately?
Is removing the lift pump mechanism from the engine body an exceedingly delicate operation that I should undertake with extremel caution, or is it a simple matter of removing the two bolts securing it to the engine, rebuilding the pump elsewhere, and then reattaching it as a whole, complete unit.

If anyone can relate a correct procedure for employing the lift pump repair kit, it will be most appreciated. Or if any experienced souls out there have other theories as to where the true problem may lie, I'll be happy to hear it.

Thanks, all,
Jack

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Rime
Email 
Eric
Jul 8, 2013 - 8:46PM
Re: lift pump failure?

Hi Jack

The best procedure is to remove the pump completely. This is done as you describe by taking off the two retaining nuts. Overhaul cannot be done with the pump attached to the engine as you need access to the operating lever assy. Once the pump is off the engine it is a fairly easy task with no special tools needed. Removing the fuel pipes from the pump can be a bit difficult though as they are quite strong and sometimes need bending slightly to get them out. With the pump off start by removing the top cover screws and the gauze filter just under the top cover, this lifts off. There are two types of diaphragm and as far as I am aware the difference is insignificant, the push rod connecting this to the operating lever hooks in place and again is not difficult to fit.
From reading your account off the problem it may be that whilst you were operating the primer the diaphragm was not actualy moving much. This can happen if the engine has stopped with the camshaft holding the pump lever fully displaced. If the pump does not feel to be pumping when operating the hand primer turn the engine one full revolution to move the camshaft.
I hope this helps.

All the best
Eric Richardson

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Phil
Jul 8, 2013 - 10:18PM
Re: lift pump failure?

Hi Jack

Eric is 100% in his analysis.

When we first purchased Soykaze (perkins 4107) I assumed that the pump was US as the manual lever did not pump and I purchased a refurbished pump but did not fit it as the old pump worked after turning the engine over as described by Eric.

However if you do have a problem I could post you the Perkins 4107 2 bolt pump as I belive that it is the same pump.

Regards - Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
Jack Marrie
Jul 8, 2013 - 10:36PM
many thanks

Thanks for your replies. I shall now proceed with confidence.

**Another quick question:
To check if the diaphram is being inhibited by the position of the cam, can I just attempt to start the engine with the key-- does that rotate it?
Or do I need to turn some part of the engine manually?

Thanks.

-Jack

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Rime
Email 
Phil
Jul 18, 2013 - 8:59PM
Re: many thanks

Hi Jack

Sorry been away so did not see your question

Yes just "blip" the starter to rotate the engine, (you may have to try a few times)

Regards - Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze

Board footer