Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 19:54:22

twotails
Administrator

Gas Locker Vent

John Stopford
Jan 5, 2009 - 4:44PM
Gas Locker Vent

Happy New Year Seadogs

As a new owner of a Seadog I will no doubt have a series of questions over the coming months, so many thanks to those who help in advance.

My 1st question is I have a gas bottle locker in the Port side cockpit locker which does not have a vent to the outside at the lowest point of the locker. Do I need to concern myself with the deck drains before drilling a hole in the topside to create the vent? Any suggestions welcomed.

Look forward to the replies.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Hound Dog
Email 
Graham Matthews
Jan 5, 2009 - 4:55PM
Re: Gas Locker Vent

Happy New Year and welcome to the forum.
Before drilling any holes at all have a very good look at the bottom of the gas locker, not easy I know, but well worth it.
For about 9 years I worried about the lack of gas locker drain on Dougal, and even admitted this to a gas fitter who then declined to give me a certificate. Two years ago I discovered that there is a gas drain moulded into the bottom of the locker that connects to the moulded in deck deck drains. It may not be perfect but certainly better than nothing.
Be very careful with the cockpit lockers in general, on Dougal (number 66) there are also drains from near the lids that run out onto the cockpit sole.
Let us know how you get on as there are many variations both from new and changes made.
regards
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Phil Ellis
Jan 5, 2009 - 11:20PM

Hi John,

I have recently had the engine and fuel tanks out of Glyfada, this gave me the opportunity to investigate the gas locker drain.
On Glyfada Boat 35 the locker is at the forward end of the port cockpit locker as standard.
The drain is well concealed and consists of a length of 3/4 in od clear pvc tube glassed over along the base of the locker running from the outboard toward inboard where it finishes about an inch short of the cockpit side, and is then open to the locker.
This tube runs from the port deck drain box which is glassed to the hull and exits just above the waterline.
I imagine the reason for it running across to the inboard side of the locker is to avoid water entering the locker when heeled to port.

Having had the oportunity of access I renewed the pipework on Glyfada and made the joint into the gas locker gas tight but still retaining the same point of entry.

It was ready, for replacing as the pvc pipe had sagged a little and was forming a water trap in a gas drain which is not what you want.

Considering the positioning and relative hieghts, the original system well quitewell through, like most things on the Seadog!

I a quite happy that this drain functions and can disperse small gas escapes eg when changing bottles, however a regime of turning off the gas at the bottle is still practised. I have bought an Alde bubble leak detector as well and shall fit that asap.

For new-build the the rules that the whole locker should be gas tight with top vent and low level drain. I believe these rules are not retrospective.

Also that would be quite a job,and I am not that paranoid for me to consider it seriously.

Hope that helps

Regards

Philip Ellis

P.S. There is little difference in height say 4 or 5 inches, between the base of the locker and the water line.Which really makes for succesful alternatve quite difficult.
I have owned two of these boats now and I have learned that a great deal of thought did go into the original design, the the elegance of which only become apparent when you begin to consider the percieved improvement. I know Wilf had made quite a few pragmatic improvements and he kindly sent me photos of some and we discussed others, but I dont now whether he dispensed with the deck drains in part or at all, some owners have.
Happy to talk if you wish.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada
Email 
Audrey and John Lansdell
Jan 6, 2009 - 8:46PM
Re: Re: Gas Locker Vent

Hi! On Twotails, No21, we have the PVC pipe, glassed in and disappearing into the after corner of the locker, and on into the void below. There it joins an eductor fitting, which has the anti syphon water from the engine cooling water going through it. This assembly is mounted on a small skin fitting just about on the waterline. The effect is that when the engine is running the water outflow induces air, plus any possible gas from a leak, into the outlet and overboard. When the engine is not running the higher specific weight of any gas will ensure it finds its way down the pipe and overboard. The only potential defect is that when sailing with the port rail under, as we do frequently (in our dreams!), any errant gas has no way out since the outlet is under water.
For me the only real worry is the moulding around the floor of the locker, which should be checked to ensure the only way out is through the pipe and not into the bilge. Cleaning round the bottom of the locker and a careful bead of a good adhesive sealant between the bulkheads and the floor all the way round will solve that problem.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
john Stopford
Jan 7, 2009 - 8:54AM

WoW

I am impressed, I would have never looked that far and I am glad I ask what seemed a silly question.

I am due to go visit Hound Dog weekend commencing 17th Jan and will have a detailed look, this will hopefully save we a job from the surveyors report!!

The other job is the replacement of Gate Valves that have seize open, from the cocpit drain. The main issue I believe is the removal of the piping which may have been in place since she was built.

Many Thanks
Email 
Eric Richardson
Jan 7, 2009 - 6:44PM

Hi John

Re your point on cockpit drains. The Seadog was designed with the drain pipes crossed over, that is to say the port side hole in the cockpit floor emptied out of the starboard drain valve and the same applied to the starboard drain, that emptied out of the port drain valve.
This is important as when well heeled if they dont cross it can flood back into the cockpit. I know of two cases where they were replaced and coupled straight down ie port to port and vice versa causing great concern to the owners.

Regards Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Email 
Graham Matthews
Jan 7, 2009 - 7:22PM

Further to the cockpit drains:
We decided some years ago that the cockpit drains were a tad small. It took us several years to complete the project but eventually we have replaced the whole run from top to bottom with a larger diameter. Not sure exactly what we ended up with but something like 40mm inside diameter.When we first bought Dougal we replaced skin fittings, seacocks and tubes like-for-like then later upgraded from the top down. The last bit only became easy when the engine was out 2 years ago.
Since then I can't say we have ever needed the additional capacity of the drains, but we are re-assured that it is there.
I also echo Eric's point, they MUST be crossed over. Not so easy with the fatter tube, but it had to be done!
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Audrey and John Lansdell
Jan 14, 2009 - 9:00PM

Hi! Second Thoughts

If you think gas may have leaked it is likely to get into the bilge. In which case use the manual bilge pump for a couple of minutes after it has pumped out any water there.

Rgds, John L.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
john Stopford
Jan 19, 2009 - 8:51AM

Once again thanks.

I have no gas leaks, it was the surveyor who suggested the locker should have an escape for the gas should a leak occur.

You will be pleased to hear that you are all correct it is inbuilt.

Seacocks for cockpit drains now replaced and this was the most hideous job I have ever done, 7hrs of effort.

So now on to next questions but I will start a new link so others can receive your wisdom, I am quite happy

Board footer