Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 18:39:21

twotails
Administrator

Fuel Tanks -3

chris jerome
Jun 17, 2012 - 7:35PM
Fuel Tanks

Is there a way to dip the tanks to find out how much they are holding ?

Someone must have come up with a clever solution.

Are the 2 tanks linked up ?

I noticed that near the engine are two taps, I assumed that one fed the heater but maybe that is a manual cut off switch for fuel ?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Michette
Email 
Steve Abbott
Jun 17, 2012 - 9:34PM
Re: Fuel Tanks

Dear Chris

As built, the Seadog had a 25-gallon mild steel fuel tank on each side. On the floor of the starboard cockpit locker there should be a plate with two levers which enable you to switch from the port to starboard fuel tank and vice-versa; it's important that both switches are set to the same tank, as one controls the flow of fuel to the engine, and the other the return of excess fuel from the injector pump.

Our boat has/had a calibrated dip-stick (were these standard issue?), and since I've replaced both tanks with a single plastic one (of 90 litres, and equipped with a guage; the mild steel ones not surprisingly have a tendency to rust, both internally and externally), my dip-stick is redundant. Being the person I am, I THINK that I didn't throw it out, although if that's the case, I couldn't get it until our next trip in September.

However, with a suitable piece of plywood, plastic or cut-down old batten, narrow enough to get through the tank filler cap, it should be easy enough to make and calibrate your own dip-stick. Note that this method only works if your fillers are the original ones in the floor of the cockpit lockers; if they've been extended to through deck fillers, the dip-stick won't work anyway, and you'll have to buy and fit electric guages and sender units - which are available from chandlers, but require cutting holes in the tanks, something I wouldn't fancy!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Arethusa
Email 
chris jerome
Jun 17, 2012 - 10:41PM

Thanks for the reply.
Glad to know about the cut-offs.

We have the original steel tanks each with a thru-deck filler.

Any idea of the best way to drain the sytem would you think.

I do have a pump that might suffice.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Michette
Email 
John Lansdell
Jun 18, 2012 - 5:04PM

You should have a fuel tank drain for each of them at their forward corner.

To save standing on my head to get at them, and spilling fuel into the bilge, I have extended ours through the bulkhead into the saloon, behind the companionway steps.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails

Board footer