Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 18:35:26

twotails
Administrator

Fuel Tanks

John Lansdell
Nov 4, 2009 - 9:34AM
Fuel Tanks

The fuel tank drawings now shown in the Gallery do not have drain cocks. On Twotails we have these, and if I were having new fuel tanks made, or existing ones repaired would have them installed. With drain cocks, should you be unfortunate enough to get water in the tank as a result of condensation, or an errant fuel supplier, you are lilely to get an attack of the diesel bug. This propogates at the fuel water interface, and, as it dies off, falls as sludge. This sludge builds up and can gradually fill the bottom of the tank to the point it gets sucked into the fuel supply system and block it. With drain cocks you can draw off a small amount from each tank on a regular basis and nip the problem in the bud. Because I am lazy I have connected the drains to pipes leading to cocks behind the companion way in the saloon. This way I am less likely to spill fuel into the bilge!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
Graham
Nov 8, 2009 - 1:50PM
Re: Fuel Tanks

Also worth mentioning that the original tanks on most SeaDogs did not have a breather facility to allow air into the tanks as fuel is used. On Dougal the only provision was a saw-cut down the threaded tube to which the fuel cap screws on. When we replaced the tanks an extra connection was made to the top of the tanks (about 15mm I think) to which I connected a tube looping round the top of the steering binnacle.
A further change I would like to make is to extend the tubes on the fillers so that the tanks can be filled from the top of the cockpit lockers, it is a pain having to shift all the 'junk' when re-fueling.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal

Board footer