Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 18:33:55

twotails
Administrator

Focsle Space

Duncan MacDonald
May 1, 2010 - 10:36PM
Focsle Space

Below floorboards in saloon is a hose running fore and aft which disappears into forward bulkhead. I had presumed that it drained the chain locker. However on clearing the chain locker no drain connection found. There is no access to the hose from the focsle space.

One possibility is that the hose became detached from the chain locker drain. Any water in the locker would then run aft into the next sealed space. Then, at some point the drain was sealed. There is evidence of some repair at the bottom of the locker.

The space below the toilet was indeed filled with water - and scrap lead.

Glass Lady was the prototype Seadog so it may be that production boats do not have the same pipework.

Can anyone confirm that my theory is correct and that the hose is redundant?

Regards,

Duncan MacDonald

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glass Lady
Email 
Graham
May 2, 2010 - 7:54AM
Re: Focsle Space

Morning,
On Dougal there was a sort of trough that ran from the chain locker all the way to the half bulkhead at the forward end of the engine compartment. At that point there was a hole to allow the chain locker to drain into the engine bilge. I understand that some SeaDogs had a bronze fitting that could be used to make that bulkhead watertight when needed.
When we fitted a shower tray in the heads I glassed in a tube to get the water from the chain locker through to the saloon, the shower tray has a separate arrangement.
It does sound as though the prototype was different.
regards
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Mark
May 24, 2010 - 1:10PM
Re: Focsle Space

Hi Duncan

I have a gully that runs from the beneath the toilet in the heads compartment, under the floorboards and through to the engine bulkhead where there is a drain and plug.

A pipe from the anchor well exits just below the toilet into the bilge in the heads and water drains from the anchor well when I have used the anchor, although I have never taken all the chain out to look at the other end of the pipe. I tend to soak up the water at the first opportunity because the gully is uneven and small amounts will not drain away causing bilge smells in the saloon.

I have just painted out the focsle and have added a picture of it to the gallery (Internal Pictures Album) with the floorboard up so that you can see the arrangement. The pipe is cut off quite short, but it is conceivable that a longer pipe could have been their originally.

Regards

Mark

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Salia

Board footer