Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 18:26:30

twotails
Administrator

Engine Oil Pressure

ronald walker
Aug 5, 2009 - 2:18PM
engine oil pressure

Hi All
On two occasions recently the engine oil pressure(perkins 4.107)droped from 60 psi to 0 for a second or two don't think the pumps faulty as the pressure is ok,but it still worries me,don't want to be away any distance with no oil pressure,if anybody has come accross the same problem,or if anyone knows what might be causing it i would be glad to here.Thanks.Ronnie.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kushka
Email 
Graham
Aug 5, 2009 - 4:16PM
Re: engine oil pressure

Hi Ronnie,
As you will know by now I am no engineer but I remember having a similar problem when we first bought Dougal. It seemed to be most common just after an oil change and I decided in the end that it was due to an air-lock in the capillary tube leading from the engine to the gauge. Eventually I replaced the gauge with an electrical one, which to me seemed more reliable. I have since ben told that the old system is the best though!
Graham
'Dougal'
currently at Hennibont at the top of the Blavett in Brittany.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Eric Richardson
Aug 6, 2009 - 9:06AM
Re: engine oil pressure

Hi Ronald

Can you give a bit more information on this to help pin down thr problem,
How long had the engine been running?
Were you in a heavy seaway?
Approx engine revs?
Silly question I know but how was the oil level, well up the dip stick or a bit low?
How long since you changed the oil filter?
Was there any sign of jerky reading on the tacho?

Board footer