Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 18:21:15

twotails
Administrator

Engine Hatches Modified

David
Aug 16, 2011 - 11:42PM
Engine Hatches - anyone done any modifications?

Although it will be somewhat down my list, I am getting increasingly sick and tired of both the weight and the awkwardness.....so wondering if anyone else has already been down this road??

What I also want (apart from not giving myself a hernia or a slipped disc!) is the ability to easily have a quick peek when underway (that all is well / the bilge ain't full ).......in any event a previous owner modified away the hatch locks and I want to rectify that.

I have a few ideas already - just be good to hear if any other ideas out there

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Wayluya
Email 
John Lansdell
Aug 24, 2011 - 12:19PM
Re: Engine Hatches - anyone done any modifications?

A number of people have modified them, but not us. If you do plan to modify them there are things to consider.
Will they stand the load of 20 stone crew member jumping down on them from the aft cabin top?
Will they carry the weight of a cockpit full of water, as a result of a heavy weather event?
How good will they be in reducing the transmission of engine noise to the crew in the cockpit?

Be aware that the lip on which the existing hatches sit is not necessarily evenly flat all the way round. When I was re-engining Twotails, and the engine was out, I put each hatch down while standing in the bilge and found gaps of up to 1/4 inch. These would allow water one way and sound the other. As a result of this they were modified and a better standard of lip seal was installed.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
David
Aug 27, 2011 - 9:29PM
Re: Engine Hatches - anyone done any modifications?

Quote: John Lansdell
A number of people have modified them, but not us. If you do plan to modify them there are things to consider.
Will they stand the load of 20 stone crew member jumping down on them from the aft cabin top?
Will they carry the weight of a cockpit full of water, as a result of a heavy weather event?
How good will they be in reducing the transmission of engine noise to the crew in the cockpit?

Be aware that the lip on which the existing hatches sit is not necessarily evenly flat all the way round. When I was re-engining Twotails, and the engine was out, I put each hatch down while standing in the bilge and found gaps of up to 1/4 inch. These would allow water one way and sound the other. As a result of this they were modified and a better standard of lip seal was installed.

For me the 20 stone crew is not theoretical - actually me mate would probably be only that if he went on a diet ......but point taken. My ideal would be to mould a couple of hatches in Fibreglass, and have them hinged / with struts......but that might be a bit optimistic for my fibreglassing skills........time will tell.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Wayluya

Board footer