Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 18:31:24

twotails
Administrator

Feathering/Folding Props

David Nixon
Dec 11, 2013 - 4:30PM
Feathering/Folding Props

Hi Folks,
Given that the size of the unmodified aperture makes fitting a folding (rather than a feathering) prop impossible. Has anyone ever modified the rudder, cutlass bearing, "deadwood" or even the hub/shaft of the prop itself to accommodate a folding prop?
A rather nice example of a folding prop has come my way and before I sell it on, I'd just like to check :-)
Regards,
David

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Gina of Parkstone
Email 
Phil
Dec 13, 2013 - 11:43PM
Re: Feathering/Folding Props

Hi David

I looked into props a couple of months back when we had the new Engine installed. I ended up with a fixed 3 blade 17 by 13 although I liked the idea of reducing drag with a feathering or folding.

The reason (other than cost) why we went for the fixed was -

Folding - we could not find a folding prop that would fit into the space between the skeg and rudder.

Feathering - some might fit but after long discussions with the Kiwi prop people they advised against as the movement bearings don't like muddy / sandy water and we sometimes dry out in the thick gloopy mud of the Keyhaven river.

Another problem we have is that we are suject to bad fouling in Keyhaven with the prop being covered in barnicles, weed and a growth like the "fur" in a kettle. So when I fitted the new prop in June I gave it a very high polish and then coated it with five or six coats of old fashioned "great black" (it used to be called black lead but is now in fact graphite). I look at the prop last week (boat still in the water) and it is perfetly clean ! last year I had to clean it off 3 times as the growths almost stoped the engine trust being effective.

Regards and happy Xmas All - Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze

Board footer