Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 18:30:20

twotails
Administrator

Exhaust Hose Warning

Phil
Jun 4, 2013 - 11:16PM
Exhaust hose warning

Hi All

As some of you may have noticed from a previous message we are currently changing the old Perkins 4107 for a Volvo MD2040.

Unfortunately this also means changing the old semi dry exhaust system for a fully wet system. I have now stripped out all of the exhaust pipe and had intended to reuse some of the rubber pipe in the new configuration.

The old rubber pipe on the outside looked to be in very good condition however it became clear that the old rubber pipe was delaminating and the inner linning was starting to collapase and block the tubes.

I cut a secction throught the old pipe and found the inner in a rotten state and even the steel spring reinforcing had rusted to the extent that there was no spring in the metal, even though on the outside surface the pipe look (and smelt) new.

Regards - Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
Eric Richardson
Jun 11, 2013 - 6:08PM
Re: Exhaust hose warning

Hi Phil

This is a common problem and usually goes unnoticed until what appears to be an engine problem develops. It starts with the engine becoming short of power and will not rev. Also it can be difficult to start and general gives the impresion its worn out and can be smoky.
What happens is that the gases get between the inner and outer layers of the hose, because the surface area on the outside of the inner lining is greater than that of the inside the inner layer squeezes down reducing the bore to a minimum, sometimes even shutting the exhaust completely thus shutting the engine down. I am aware of engines being taken out and overhauled then being no better when refitted. A lot of expense for a simple problem.

Regards Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex
Email 
Phil
Jun 19, 2013 - 8:47PM
Re: Exhaust hose warning

Hi Eric

Thanks for comments.

What alarmed me was that the rubber tube looked perfect on the outside ! it was only the fact that I have to replace the exhaust with the new engine caused me to cut the tube ( to make it easy to remove) that causeed me to notice the problem.

Perhaps we need to consider exhaust hose as a "life item"

Regards - Phil

Board footer