Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 18:20:07

twotails
Administrator

PerkinsTachometer Replacement

john lowe
Feb 8, 2014 - 12:22PM
IVO Tachometer unit replacement for Perkins

On my oil leak quest with Tarry we found the IVO Tachometer unit streaming oil when the Perkins 4.108 (same as 4.107) gets up to temperature. However, we are struggling to find a replacement, or alternatively something to cap it off, as we arent using it.

Does anybody know of a supplier or have anything?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Tarry
Email 
Graham
Feb 8, 2014 - 3:30PM
Re: IVO Tachometer unit replacement for Perkins

Seem to remember that when we replaced the tachometer on our Perkins (Brian) we capped off the engine drive using the original threaded fitting with a coin of the realm inserted, think possibly a 1 pence coin. It was certainly something like that, had intended to do something 'proper' later on but never did, I believe the coin was still in place when we replaced the engine several years later. Hope this helps?
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
john lowe
Feb 9, 2014 - 2:00PM

Hi Graham, When we got the old one off we pretty much mangled it I'm afraid. I guess I'm probably going to have to find a replacement or get a fitting made.

Email 
Eric Richardson
Feb 9, 2014 - 6:30PM

Hi John

Don't know if this info is of any use to you. First point is you can remove the rotary cable drive unit from the engine and fit a simple blanking plate. 2 There is a company called Speedograph Richfield who overhaul the Tacho's and used to supply most of the spares including drive cables etc. They just might sell the bits you need. They used to have a web site.

Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Email 
Eric Richardson
Feb 9, 2014 - 6:48PM

Sorry John

Please ignore the first bit of my reply in my previous entry. I was thinking of the wrong engine with the blanking plate!!!
On the Perkins engine it is as Graham says. Remove the screw down cap that retains the drive cable and use it with a blank coated with joint paint to simply seal it all up.
The info re Speedograph Richfield still stands.

Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Email 
john lowe
Feb 9, 2014 - 9:24PM

Hi Eric, Thanks, that sounds a possibilty - they have a website www.speedograph-richfield.com and I've written to them and will call tomorrow. I'll let you know how I do.

Email 
Phil
Feb 10, 2014 - 6:43PM

Hi John

I have still got the orriginal taco and cable from our old perkins 4107 if it is of any help you are welcome to it. It was working well until we broke the engine.

Regards - Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
john lowe
Feb 10, 2014 - 6:55PM

Hi Phil, that would be great. I wasn't lucky with Speedograph Richfield unfortunately - one to keep in the diary though. Shall I give you a call to discuss?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) tarry
Email 
john lowe
Feb 10, 2014 - 7:41PM

Oh, my number is 07967027096

Email 
phil
Feb 11, 2014 - 9:04PM

Hi John, I will give you a call Wednesday

Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
jason lawrance
Jul 19, 2014 - 10:54PM

hi do you still have your 4.107 tachometer cable please as mine snapped last weekend? thankyou jason 07526042661

Board footer