Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 18:18:17

twotails
Administrator

Sprayhood Cockpit Canopy

Duncan MacDonald
Sep 8, 2010 - 4:37PM
Spray hood / Cockpit canopy

I am contemplating renewal of the spray hood & cockpit canopy on Glass Lady. The spray hood is canvas with plastic window panels stretched over two hoops & attached by spring buttons to the windscreen. The rear canopy is fastened to to spray hood with large hooks & eyes & is split along its centre line to pass round the mizzen. The centre line is then secured with velcro and lashed round the mast. The after end slopes down past the aft cabin hatch & is secured with a combination of bungee cords & line. The replacements will be of acrylic material. The spray hood design is OK but does anyone have a neater way of making a weather-proof canopy to enclose the mizzen & aft cabin hatch?
Rgds,
Duncan MacDonald
Glass Lady

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glass Lady
Email 
John Lansdell
Sep 9, 2010 - 8:01AM
Re: Spray hood / Cockpit canopy

I'm not sure about neater, but certainly the one we have on Twotails made by CJ Marine in Chichester works well, and we are pleased with it. It has 3 zips. I suggest you go to their website and have a look there.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Chris & Phil
Sep 9, 2010 - 9:43PM

Duncan

We had a new hood made for Soyakaze this year by Sanders Sails of Lymington.

The aft edge of the main hood has a zip all of the way across under a flap of material (to proteect it from the rain) the aft cover zips into this. The aft edge of the back cover wraps around the mizen mast with a strap arround the mast and a zip down to deck level, the back edge at deck level is pulled out with elastic loops onto hooks.

The finished fastened up structure is all tight does not let in any wind, rain or flap arround

Some hoods have an extra frame to exend the hood further over the aft deck but we are not conviced it is necessary.

I will try to take some photo's this week end email me if you want a copy.

Good luck, Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
John Lansdell
Sep 10, 2010 - 8:35AM

Ours has the additional hoop. For us it has three advantages, it is easier to get in and out of the after cabin when the cover is up, it gives a covered area on the port side to put wet clothing like foul weather gear out of the way, yet ready to use, and, it makes the cockpit area seem bigger and more usable.

Alan and Debbie
Sep 10, 2010 - 3:35PM

John

Do you have any pics of your arrangement, we are contemplating a new rear section to the same pattern.

Regards

Alan and Debbie

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
John Lansdell
Sep 10, 2010 - 8:01PM

We have no useful pictures of ours. I intend to get onto her on Sunday and will try and get some for you then.

David
Sep 10, 2010 - 10:09PM

Quote: Alan and Debbie
John

Do you have any pics of your arrangement, we are contemplating a new rear section to the same pattern.

Regards

Alan and Debbie

Here is John's Two Tails - something similar is (still!) on my to do list.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Wayluya
John Lansdell
Sep 11, 2010 - 4:00PM

I have taken some pictures, and will email them to anyone who is interested, if they let me know. One thing I forgot to mention is that we have an additional hoop or grab rail about 8cm aft of the one carrying the after end of the main cover. This makes it much easier to get in and out of the cockpit, without making the cover material greasy and dirty from constantly grabbing it to steady oneself.

Mark
Sep 11, 2010 - 4:47PM

I'd be interested, I am begining to think of replacing the cockpit covers on Sulis and like the look of the second hoop arrangement.

Regards Mark

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Sulis
Duncan MacDonald
Sep 11, 2010 - 11:31PM

Thanks for comments; all interesting.

I would appreciate e-mail photos if available.

Rgds,

Duncan MacDonald
Glass Lady

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glass Lady
Email 
Robert Peebles
Sep 12, 2010 - 9:02PM

Hi Duncan,

As you may remember, the canopy on Jacarah was in poor condition when you saw it last year, and I have a completely new one now, enclosing the aft hatch. Port side covers only the cockpit to leave aft cabin ventilator clear.

It was made by Forth Marine Textiles at Dunfermline. They will manufacture to your modification. Price seemed very reasonable to me, around £900 including new dodgers and sail covers.

You are welcome to view it any time: boat is moored at Limekilns Harbour (near the main car park on seafront), haul-out on Oct 9/10 at Forth Cruising Club (Brucehaven Harbour at east end of LImekilns ).

Kind regards,

Robert

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Jacarah
Email 
John Lansdell
Sep 26, 2010 - 8:49PM

To Duncan Mac Donald

Sorry for tardy reply, will contact you again mid next week.

John Lansdell.

Board footer